2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Review: Whatever you do, don't do it!

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Review

GLS Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Whatever you do, don't do it!
By Vic1896 on

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Purchased a 2000 VW Cabrio from a used car dealership in New Jersey (that was my first mistake as I am a New York resident.) Drove the car off the lot and within 3 miles, check engine light came on. Checked fluids, proceeded with our trip home. Within 10 miles, the car's manual transmission jumps out of fifth gear while going 65 mph on a 4 lane highway. With the dealership closed (and being the car was sold "as- is", we limped home. The 2 hour trip ended up taking nearly 3 hours. Mechanic found the transmission had been replaced but not refilled with transmission fluid. Brand New tranny installed only to find the starter was also malfunctioning. Meanwhile, the check engine light was on.

Really fun and cute to drive (based on the 8 hours it was in running condition.)Makes a lovely lawn ornament.

I can only hope VW has figured out how to make a more reliable automobile since they built my '00 Cabrio.