2000 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
AWESOME vehicle for price and safety.
By darwinsti69 on 08/15/13 13:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

The car is amazing, and as long as you keep all maintanance up, like all of us should, it will run forever!!! This was my dream car from 11th grade and I finally had a chance to get it and BAM!! Many hours of cruising at the beach, to Kentucy and on to Phillidelphia and back home to NC. Gas mileage was great! I would reccommend this vehicle over and over, just be aware, regular maintanence is important no matter what vehicle you own. You go to the Dr when you need a checkup, take your car regularly too:-)

Cutest Little Thing!
By lovemycabrio8 on 06/12/12 16:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Before I bought my 2000 Cabrio 4 years ago, I looked up consumer reviews and was horrified. Fortunately, I ignored the postings and went ahead and bought one. omg! The best thing I could have done! Not only do you get great gas mileage, it fits everywhere. The check engine light came on twice in 4 years and both times all I did was open the hood and take a look. The first time, a thick rubber tube got old and had a whole in it. Cost me $2.00 & 15 minutes to change. This last time, a small rubber tube disconnected. I put it in it's place, and 15 miles later, check engine light turned off. I'm a female musician, not a mechanic and I figured it out! Use common sense, and you will be just fine!

Love it!!!
By lilauggie4 on 03/18/11 12:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I don't understand why people are writing such terrible reviews, you clearly didn't get the car checked before buying it. My 2000 Cabrio is a beautiful car. It runs well, looks nice, I haven't had any problems yet. And i've had it for 5 months. It has a little over 109k miles. You guys just need to take better care of your car!! (It's not a manual though, i'm confused why I can't choose automatic.)

Vanessa
By sara on 04/27/10 10:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

My dad bought me this car off of ebay my senior year of high school! I love it its has broke down a few times. The only real problems ive had is the abkc seat is really small. and my distributor cap and rotor died. The mass airflow thing has been a problem too. My automatic top stopped working due to the hydraulic pistions brekaing down. But its at 104,000 and still running beautifully. I absolutely love my car. and its fast and samll so you can fit into any pakring spot

A piece of junk!
By Editux on 09/01/09 18:16 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

I bought this car with 7000 miles on it only, and had to replace a water pump that same summer (thankfully under power train warranty). The water pump broke down the following year again, and then couple years later again. The check engine light basically has been on since the very beginning.. it sometimes comes off, but then it's back on. All the little plastic parts in the interior broke down after 2 years. Cupholders don't hold anything besides a can of soda. Automatic roof stopped working the first summer I had it. Love the convertible, but otherwise it's a piece of JUNK!

decent quality and great mileage
By boatbum on 04/21/09 06:15 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Frankly I am a bit stumped by some of the other reviews. This little car is pretty sound and easy to maintain. Granted, if you try to take it to a shop that is now VW savvy, you might end up with a major headache. I recently replaced the waterpump - got quotes from $475 with timing belt replacement to $1400 for just the waterpump. Same with the brakes - Midas quoted $1200 but I got them done at a small local German imports shop for $250. Do your maintenance and the car is fine. It is fun to drive, fits me easily (I am 6'5) and it gets great gas mileage. I have owned alot of convertibles and this one is very practical and dependable if you maintain it.

Whatever you do, don't do it!
By Vic1896 on 06/16/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Purchased a 2000 VW Cabrio from a used car dealership in New Jersey (that was my first mistake as I am a New York resident.) Drove the car off the lot and within 3 miles, check engine light came on. Checked fluids, proceeded with our trip home. Within 10 miles, the car's manual transmission jumps out of fifth gear while going 65 mph on a 4 lane highway. With the dealership closed (and being the car was sold "as- is", we limped home. The 2 hour trip ended up taking nearly 3 hours. Mechanic found the transmission had been replaced but not refilled with transmission fluid. Brand New tranny installed only to find the starter was also malfunctioning. Meanwhile, the check engine light was on.

Don't Buy One
By princesserin on 02/16/07 14:31 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

My boyfriend and I bought this car because i wanted it! I have had nothing but problems with it since the day I drove it off the lot! The night that I drove it home, the check engine light came on and I have had to take it back up there and pay for the problems even though I have only had it for not even three weeks! Getting this car was a big mistake.

What a Piece of Junk
By Bill on 07/12/06 19:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

My girlfriend owns this car and I can't tell you how many headaches it has given me. I will never buy another Volkswagen ever again. It has had problems with the window regulators, engine, exhaust system, and brakes. I'm too upset to write anymore because I'm going to be plunking down hundreds of dollars next week for the window regulators. I know so many people with Volkswagen horror stories.

Disappointed with overall quality
By Eddie Serna on 06/09/06 16:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

We purchased our VW Cabrio GLS new because of its styling and our impression that VW makes quality vehicles. I must admit that the car was involved in a rear-ender in which the front end of the VW took a good smack, but fortunately, it was all cosmetic. My wife is the main driver (and I play the mechanic) and loved her car for the first two years. Then glued on interior parts started coming off. At about 45,000 we lost the speedo and tach gauge ($900 to replace, can't be fixed). The convertible top no longer works ($810 for the motor), the power steering leaks badly, the engine sprays oil all over, and this car has been babied, TLC'd, and garaged. $26,000 and you still get a stamped steel valve cover.