1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Review: 99 vw CABRIO GLS, What A Fun C

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Review

GLS Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

99 vw CABRIO GLS, What A Fun Car!
By toycollector on

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased this 99 VW Cabrio used some many years ago. I wanted a convertible and My Grand mother swore by VW. Lest we forget, she bought her VW's when Volkswagon was still Volkswagon. So, as my Cabrio ages, I would be in for some of todays technology short falls or upgrades that the car could/should have done without and be better for it . I prefer it's look to todays cars, it has a great ride and handles well. And where do they come up with no power in the reviews. Mine goes like a bat out of, err a hot oven. It is pleasing to drive, fantastic when the top is down and the mid support has a good look. I drive this car anywhere I care to go with a big smile on my face.

Favorite Features

The sound system is great. Those with sound complaints need new speakers. And the powered top is the cats meow, or the dogs woof, which ever way you swing. The seats are comfortable and the ride is always a treat. The dash is clear and well lit and I added a heads up MPH display to reflect my speed off the window. Just making cool, COOLER! I always look forward to my drives with the top down, even at night with a star filled sky. WHAT A FUN CAR!

Suggested Improvements

The car was created with a lot of stuff, if not all, from the associated car companies. VW I think joined with 2 others in the late 70's . The technology change from then on, not to the better. For one, This car does not need electric windows to break down, crank is fine thankyou. The rear view mirror needs a dim feature, or keeping with down sizing tech, a curved mirror to help keep the bright lights dim. The Radio needed to be better constructed, sounds great but physically falls apart. They need to abandon Clear Cote paint which peels off and is prohibitively expensive to repaint. The hub cap stickers fall off, so whats wrong with paint? VW needs to step back, away from hi tech!