Used 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio
By J Fox

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I will never buy another VW product. The convertible top operator has been replaced twice. The air conditioning has failed. The cloth top seams have delaminated requiring the whole top to be replaced. The electric window operators ocasionally malfunction. The car is 6 years old but has been driven less than 6,000 miles per year. It is a real lemon.

Great Looks, Lousy Reliability
By Carshoppingagain

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

My first new car turned out to be quite a pain. I had troubles within the first 3 months (including top leaks) of owning her and it's only gotten worse. The seals around the top have had to be replaced three times (very expensive). I have a mystery trunk leak that renders it practically useless. Numerous electronic issues and the driver's side window appears ready to burn out next. I drove her cross-country from Florida to Oregon and had to spend over $1,000 to get her to pass Oregon emissions. Now, the auto top will no longer come down and my mechanic estimates a minimum of $1,000 to fix it. I'm giving up and shopping for a new car. No more VW's for me.

Looks, blue color, heated seats, and good for city parking.

VW stopped making this car--small wonder. Try quality-control next time, VW!

cab 99
By steveie

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

The Cabrio is fun to drive but lacks in power. The inside and out is German perfection. The new style is the one to buy, SC

STYLE!!!!!!!!!

Power!

JUNK Continued
By azcabrio1

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I have replaced 2 wheel bearings, an axle, strut assembly and I had a dry rotted EGR vacume tube when the car only had 35k miles. The stereo doesn't sound good and there is no bass. I haven't been impressed with the dealer service. When my second gauge cluster died after 12 months and 1 day from my last replacement, I was told to call VW of North America and I did so. They accepted no responsibility for the quality of their parts and became very rude with me when I asked to speak to the rep's supervisor. Stay away from this car!!!!!

get rid of the 2.0 engine even in the new bettle conv. It is underpowered for America.

JUNK JUNK JUNK
By azcabrio

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Never buy this car!! The market is horrible if you are unlucky enough to already own one. Germans can build a good driving car, but from my experience they don't know anything about electronics. In the 2 years I have owned this car I have had to replace the entire gauge cluster TWICE -- $400 each time. I have also replaced the alarm module, window pinch sensor, and cruise control relay. The leather wears out quickly...

The enormous cup holders. smirk!!!

Where to begin...