1999 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
The Worst Purchase I Have Ever Made
By jayzee on 05/03/06 16:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

Little did I know when I bought my Cabrio that I would be visiting the mechanic every 5 months thereafter. On three different occasions my bill for repairs has been approximately $1,000. With 72,000 miles on the car I have replaed the entire A/ C system, both seals for the convertible top, the power steering pump, hoses, etc...and now I'm looking at another $1,000 to fix my passenger side window which no longer works. I'm finished putting more of my money into this terribly unreliable car. I would never recommend it to anyone else. I'm shopping for a Honda.

Underrated Performance and Reliability
By horseman13 on 11/25/05 12:31 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

After 10,000 miles with my 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio, I am flabbergasted about the comments in regards to lack of power. This is the twenty-third car I have owned and I am so impressed with the solid handling and general performance. Consumer guide just flat missed this one when it came to their discussion of this machine's alleged lack of performance. My repair, I had to replace the rear muffler! BIG DEAL! What an incredibly fun car to drive.

Very Dissatisfied
By Kristen on 11/16/05 17:23 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

I purchased a 99' Cabrio in 2004 from a VW dealership. I paid $2,000 more for a 2 year warranty. In the past year, I have paid over $3,000 more for problems conveniently not covered by this warranty. Supposedly it was just inspected when I got it. Two weeks later, all 4 brakes, pads, etc went. This happened twice! The dealership said that I must have left the emergency brake on and didn't cover it either time, unbelievable! My car also had two different engine problems. The most recent problem is my passenger side door won't open. I am very dissatisfied with the whole thing. I am currently shopping for a Toyota now.

I love it!
By Ann on 10/04/05 00:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I drive this car year round, sun, rain, snow, and ice, up and down the highways of the midwest. It has never let me down. It is a real trooper. It is even really good in the snow! Those Germans know what they are doing!

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio
By J Fox on 09/30/05 11:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I will never buy another VW product. The convertible top operator has been replaced twice. The air conditioning has failed. The cloth top seams have delaminated requiring the whole top to be replaced. The electric window operators ocasionally malfunction. The car is 6 years old but has been driven less than 6,000 miles per year. It is a real lemon.

Great Looks, Lousy Reliability
By Carshoppingagain on 08/18/05 01:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

My first new car turned out to be quite a pain. I had troubles within the first 3 months (including top leaks) of owning her and it's only gotten worse. The seals around the top have had to be replaced three times (very expensive). I have a mystery trunk leak that renders it practically useless. Numerous electronic issues and the driver's side window appears ready to burn out next. I drove her cross-country from Florida to Oregon and had to spend over $1,000 to get her to pass Oregon emissions. Now, the auto top will no longer come down and my mechanic estimates a minimum of $1,000 to fix it. I'm giving up and shopping for a new car. No more VW's for me.

cab 99
By steveie on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

The Cabrio is fun to drive but lacks in power. The inside and out is German perfection. The new style is the one to buy, SC

JUNK Continued
By azcabrio1 on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I have replaced 2 wheel bearings, an axle, strut assembly and I had a dry rotted EGR vacume tube when the car only had 35k miles. The stereo doesn't sound good and there is no bass. I haven't been impressed with the dealer service. When my second gauge cluster died after 12 months and 1 day from my last replacement, I was told to call VW of North America and I did so. They accepted no responsibility for the quality of their parts and became very rude with me when I asked to speak to the rep's supervisor. Stay away from this car!!!!!

JUNK JUNK JUNK
By azcabrio on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Never buy this car!! The market is horrible if you are unlucky enough to already own one. Germans can build a good driving car, but from my experience they don't know anything about electronics. In the 2 years I have owned this car I have had to replace the entire gauge cluster TWICE -- $400 each time. I have also replaced the alarm module, window pinch sensor, and cruise control relay. The leather wears out quickly...

It looks better than it runs
By kcmiami on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I just spent $900 on repairs despite my car still being under the extended "gold" warrenty. There isn't even 25,000 miles on the car yet! My old Honda gave me much less trouble after 125,000 miles! The staff at the VW service department said they would never drive a VW.