Used 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

9 years later
By Gogi

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought the 99 cabrio in 2000 for around $20,000. I have replaced brakes, tires, muffler, window washer blades. It now has 66,000 miles and I am trading it in for a newer car. The automatic roof broke, but I didn't have it repaired. It's easy to do manually. I loved the car. I didn't have any of those problems mentioned in other posts.

Go Go Cabrio - Driver Found
By Julie

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased my carbrio in the dead of winter 1999 & have driven it year round since with basic maintenance and care. Would like bigger better placed cup holders but love absolutely everything about my car so much I am finding it hard to find a suitable replacement for the future. I am nearing 100,000 miles & have required no major repair.

My leather, heated seats. Great for my passenger side buddy, Max the Siberian husky :) Um, people in other Cabrios like to wave too (even when Max isn't in the car) - Can we consider vw owners friendliness a feature? If so add it on.

None - for the year produced it was great! Still runs great! Looks Great! Like I said... Driver Found :)

1999 VW Cabrio
By Barbara

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I purchased my dream car - red '99 Cabrio in 1998 from a VW dealership. I am a very good driver of this (5- speed) beauty and it's been garaged for most of its life.The exterior and interior look almost brand new.I did have the power failure of the lights. However, VW said that my VIN did not match its recall list.Everything that was described in the recall happened to my car in 2007, causing a dangerous situation while on an Interstate.In 2007, the power boost on the passenger side for the convertible top failed. Today, the driver side failed. Each repair cost me $1,700. I wanted this car to last me forever!

Gas mileage, shape, color, 5-speed for power, reliability in snow, sleet, rain and over mountains, and, it's absolutely cute. Truckers talk to me!! Kids envy me!! I am 66!!

Stand behind the product. My convertible top problems are extremely unique according to the dealer.I take care of the car.VW should make good on these repairs.Cup holders have not changed in 10 years!!

Drive Shaft
By Andrew

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

I love my 1999 little cab I bought it in 2005 with only 12000 km on the clock. Amazing! Also amazing was the fact that I had to replace the drive shaft at 50,000 km - hrrmph! Andrew

Interior finish and good handling

None really!

I love my Cabby
By I love my Cabby

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I read many reviews before buying my car, and chose to take the gamble. I bought it with the intention to have it last through the end of undergrad and grad school. I just graduated - it was a trooper and lasted! I have not had much trouble at all. I have replaced both the front and rear windows because they cracked (my own fault). It was very reasonable to replace the windows. The car, of course, does not have much power, but I still love it. I have even made it my own little SUV by adding a roof rack to it. I hope that VW makes a newer version in the coming years, so when mine eventually causes me problems due to old age, I can buy a new one!

Blue and orange interior lights, heated seats, small size great for city parking!

Better cup holders!