Used 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

GREAT car!
By lovecabrio

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I bought my cab with 62,000 miles on it and it is now at 115,000. I have only had to replace a few minor things, probably only totaling to $1,000. The A/C does not work, but I don't really use it anyways. It drives great in the snow, I have never had to purchase snow tires and it out-drives my Ford F-250. Minor leaks in heavy rain. I get nearly 30 mpg, I love this car.

Great heater, large trunk, surprisingly spacious.

CUP HOLDERS!! It seems like AC is a common complaint, so I'll say air conditioning as well.

Drive Shaft
By Andrew

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I love my 1999 little cab I bought it in 2005 with only 12000 km on the clock. Amazing! Also amazing was the fact that I had to replace the drive shaft at 50,000 km - hrrmph! Andrew

Interior finish and good handling

None really!

The Worst Purchase I Have Ever Made
By jayzee

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

Little did I know when I bought my Cabrio that I would be visiting the mechanic every 5 months thereafter. On three different occasions my bill for repairs has been approximately $1,000. With 72,000 miles on the car I have replaed the entire A/ C system, both seals for the convertible top, the power steering pump, hoses, etc...and now I'm looking at another $1,000 to fix my passenger side window which no longer works. I'm finished putting more of my money into this terribly unreliable car. I would never recommend it to anyone else. I'm shopping for a Honda.

Great fuel economy, looks great from the outside.

Make a car that actually works!

Very Dissatisfied
By Kristen

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I purchased a 99' Cabrio in 2004 from a VW dealership. I paid $2,000 more for a 2 year warranty. In the past year, I have paid over $3,000 more for problems conveniently not covered by this warranty. Supposedly it was just inspected when I got it. Two weeks later, all 4 brakes, pads, etc went. This happened twice! The dealership said that I must have left the emergency brake on and didn't cover it either time, unbelievable! My car also had two different engine problems. The most recent problem is my passenger side door won't open. I am very dissatisfied with the whole thing. I am currently shopping for a Toyota now.

Easy parking in the city, more room than I thought in the back seat.

Everything breaks! Also, the cup holders are pointless (too small and in the way). I put my change in them.

So Cute!
By msmeow1966

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I bought the Cabrio to have for the driving in the summer months (Explorer in the winter) and I absolutely love it! It could use a little more pick up on the engine. Overall, it is very comfortable, cute (love the roll bar), and practical to drive. The back seat is roomier than other convertibles and the VW handling is excellent.

More horsepower!