1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
I love my Cabrio but...
By Meg on 07/02/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I love my cabrio. It is so fun to drive and so cute, but I have had to replace my cluster twice, replace my tail pipe and I'm due to replace my whole muffler system. My power top is leaking in 2 places and I have to replace the hydrolic fluid every summer or pay over 1,000$ to fix the leaks. I had a bad sensor, my check engine light is always on and my ABS light is on. It is also rusting all over despite my waxing it multiple times a year! This car is costing me almost as much in repairs as I payed for it! It is also going to be very hard to sell because who wants a convertible with a top that doesn't work with check engine lights on and incorrect mileage because the clusters were replaced?

I love my Cabby
By I love my Cabby on 12/25/07 09:47 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I read many reviews before buying my car, and chose to take the gamble. I bought it with the intention to have it last through the end of undergrad and grad school. I just graduated - it was a trooper and lasted! I have not had much trouble at all. I have replaced both the front and rear windows because they cracked (my own fault). It was very reasonable to replace the windows. The car, of course, does not have much power, but I still love it. I have even made it my own little SUV by adding a roof rack to it. I hope that VW makes a newer version in the coming years, so when mine eventually causes me problems due to old age, I can buy a new one!

Has Been a Great Little Car
By coolher2002 on 01/30/07 11:36 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I have had relatively few problems with my 1999 Cabrio GLS. The only problem that I have had had as far as malfunctions go is what appears to be a short in the wiring system. The car's "service engine light" came on at about 50,000 miles. I took it in to the mechanic only to be told that nothing was wrong with the car, it is just programmed to go off so you will take it in an be serviced. The airbag light went on and I was told that it is a common problem as the sensors short out . I have yet to have it fixed.

I love it!
By Ann on 10/04/05 00:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I drive this car year round, sun, rain, snow, and ice, up and down the highways of the midwest. It has never let me down. It is a real trooper. It is even really good in the snow! Those Germans know what they are doing!

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio
By J Fox on 09/30/05 11:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I will never buy another VW product. The convertible top operator has been replaced twice. The air conditioning has failed. The cloth top seams have delaminated requiring the whole top to be replaced. The electric window operators ocasionally malfunction. The car is 6 years old but has been driven less than 6,000 miles per year. It is a real lemon.

Great Looks, Lousy Reliability
By Carshoppingagain on 08/18/05 01:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

My first new car turned out to be quite a pain. I had troubles within the first 3 months (including top leaks) of owning her and it's only gotten worse. The seals around the top have had to be replaced three times (very expensive). I have a mystery trunk leak that renders it practically useless. Numerous electronic issues and the driver's side window appears ready to burn out next. I drove her cross-country from Florida to Oregon and had to spend over $1,000 to get her to pass Oregon emissions. Now, the auto top will no longer come down and my mechanic estimates a minimum of $1,000 to fix it. I'm giving up and shopping for a new car. No more VW's for me.

It looks better than it runs
By kcmiami on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I just spent $900 on repairs despite my car still being under the extended "gold" warrenty. There isn't even 25,000 miles on the car yet! My old Honda gave me much less trouble after 125,000 miles! The staff at the VW service department said they would never drive a VW.

Cute, reliable, and head-turning!
By jessiebg on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

What more could you ask for in a car? I've had my 1999 Cabrio GLS since I bought it new during the month the new body style was released! It's great for commuting and in just about all weather! Fun to drive-the power roof is great and soooo convenient-plus-the heated leather seats are awesome (picture little blonde me crusing down the PA turnpike in february, top down-car was filled with an entire room of Ikea furniture!-heat blasting--toasty seats on-quite a sight and a remarkably non-painful experience considering it was about 30 degs)! Also, with the heat on, the heated seats on, and the windows up, you can drive around with your top down in just about any weather!

Black VW Cabrio
By lyn1 on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

VW 99 Cabrio- Drives well, excellent condition, Black exterior, Black leather seats

Summer Fun -
By ChitownVWDriver on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

Great convertble - especially for the money. This, incidently, is also a very reliable winter car. The top is the sam six-layer cover used in higher end German cars and the front-wheel drive handling is fine in the snow.