1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
1999 VW Cabrio
By Barbara on 06/24/08 08:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I purchased my dream car - red '99 Cabrio in 1998 from a VW dealership. I am a very good driver of this (5- speed) beauty and it's been garaged for most of its life.The exterior and interior look almost brand new.I did have the power failure of the lights. However, VW said that my VIN did not match its recall list.Everything that was described in the recall happened to my car in 2007, causing a dangerous situation while on an Interstate.In 2007, the power boost on the passenger side for the convertible top failed. Today, the driver side failed. Each repair cost me $1,700. I wanted this car to last me forever!

Underrated Performance and Reliability
By horseman13 on 11/25/05 12:31 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

After 10,000 miles with my 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio, I am flabbergasted about the comments in regards to lack of power. This is the twenty-third car I have owned and I am so impressed with the solid handling and general performance. Consumer guide just flat missed this one when it came to their discussion of this machine's alleged lack of performance. My repair, I had to replace the rear muffler! BIG DEAL! What an incredibly fun car to drive.

cab 99
By steveie on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

The Cabrio is fun to drive but lacks in power. The inside and out is German perfection. The new style is the one to buy, SC

Very Dependable
By C. Jones on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

The only notable problem has been the electrical window motors.