Used 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL (1999.5) Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

1999 VW Cabrio
By Barbara

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I purchased my dream car - red '99 Cabrio in 1998 from a VW dealership. I am a very good driver of this (5- speed) beauty and it's been garaged for most of its life.The exterior and interior look almost brand new.I did have the power failure of the lights. However, VW said that my VIN did not match its recall list.Everything that was described in the recall happened to my car in 2007, causing a dangerous situation while on an Interstate.In 2007, the power boost on the passenger side for the convertible top failed. Today, the driver side failed. Each repair cost me $1,700. I wanted this car to last me forever!

Gas mileage, shape, color, 5-speed for power, reliability in snow, sleet, rain and over mountains, and, it's absolutely cute. Truckers talk to me!! Kids envy me!! I am 66!!

Stand behind the product. My convertible top problems are extremely unique according to the dealer.I take care of the car.VW should make good on these repairs.Cup holders have not changed in 10 years!!

Underrated Performance and Reliability
By horseman13

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

After 10,000 miles with my 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio, I am flabbergasted about the comments in regards to lack of power. This is the twenty-third car I have owned and I am so impressed with the solid handling and general performance. Consumer guide just flat missed this one when it came to their discussion of this machine's alleged lack of performance. My repair, I had to replace the rear muffler! BIG DEAL! What an incredibly fun car to drive.

Comfort for a tall guy, fuel economy, and balanced performance (not lacking in any area). This car is an absolute blast to drive! Thanks VW, I hope you market these in the US again some day.

Improve the poor positioning of the cup holders. Tensile strengthing of front seat backs.

cab 99
By steveie

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

The Cabrio is fun to drive but lacks in power. The inside and out is German perfection. The new style is the one to buy, SC

STYLE!!!!!!!!!

Power!

Very Dependable
By C. Jones

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

The only notable problem has been the electrical window motors.

Solid, no rattles, no leaks, top is easy to maintain, & durable paint. High-quality fit & finish w/attn to small details. EXTREMELY comfortable w/simple, easy to understand, easy to reach controls. Nimble & confident handling.

Improve folding back seat and trunk pass-through opening--it's not user- friendly. Cup holders defy the attn to detail of the rest of the car. Back seat passengers need a grab bar or strap to get out. Need more, useable interior storage space.