Used 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

GLS Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
99 vw CABRIO GLS, What A Fun Car!
By toycollector on 07/26/14 13:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased this 99 VW Cabrio used some many years ago. I wanted a convertible and My Grand mother swore by VW. Lest we forget, she bought her VW's when Volkswagon was still Volkswagon. So, as my Cabrio ages, I would be in for some of todays technology short falls or upgrades that the car could/should have done without and be better for it . I prefer it's look to todays cars, it has a great ride and handles well. And where do they come up with no power in the reviews. Mine goes like a bat out of, err a hot oven. It is pleasing to drive, fantastic when the top is down and the mid support has a good look. I drive this car anywhere I care to go with a big smile on my face.

FUN AND PROBLEMATIC + $$
By forreal1 on 07/03/13 11:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

The reviews point towards a car that is fun to drive, good-looking (unique style), comfortable for even tall drivers, higher clearance than many convertibles, a/c and heater works, heated seats put out moderate amount of heat, good winter driving capability (if you choose to), good on gas and easy to park. I think these points are valid and are the experience of the majority of owners. For me, the problem was a leaking transmission, which turned into a replacement of the filter and fluid. This was the beginning of an expensive problem. Many transmissions don't like changing older fluid for newer fluid. It upsets the balance inside the transmission. Stay away from cars with trans work.

1999 VW Cabrio 2 Dr. GLS
By cmartin on 07/31/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Currently the owner of a second VW Cabrio and you would have thought I would learn my lesson. The car is cute, however I have realized that certain major & costly things go wrong with VW's - just a few examples: The window censors, the automatic roof motor, rotor & distributor moisture (which causes yearly replacement), cruise control malfunctions, and items within the interior to just fall off. While I love the exterior design I would never purchase another VW.

9 years later
By Gogi on 06/24/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought the 99 cabrio in 2000 for around $20,000. I have replaced brakes, tires, muffler, window washer blades. It now has 66,000 miles and I am trading it in for a newer car. The automatic roof broke, but I didn't have it repaired. It's easy to do manually. I loved the car. I didn't have any of those problems mentioned in other posts.

Go Go Cabrio - Driver Found
By Julie on 12/10/08 14:16 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased my carbrio in the dead of winter 1999 & have driven it year round since with basic maintenance and care. Would like bigger better placed cup holders but love absolutely everything about my car so much I am finding it hard to find a suitable replacement for the future. I am nearing 100,000 miles & have required no major repair.

JUNK Continued
By azcabrio1 on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I have replaced 2 wheel bearings, an axle, strut assembly and I had a dry rotted EGR vacume tube when the car only had 35k miles. The stereo doesn't sound good and there is no bass. I haven't been impressed with the dealer service. When my second gauge cluster died after 12 months and 1 day from my last replacement, I was told to call VW of North America and I did so. They accepted no responsibility for the quality of their parts and became very rude with me when I asked to speak to the rep's supervisor. Stay away from this car!!!!!

JUNK JUNK JUNK
By azcabrio on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Never buy this car!! The market is horrible if you are unlucky enough to already own one. Germans can build a good driving car, but from my experience they don't know anything about electronics. In the 2 years I have owned this car I have had to replace the entire gauge cluster TWICE -- $400 each time. I have also replaced the alarm module, window pinch sensor, and cruise control relay. The leather wears out quickly...

Needs improvement
By Kind of pleased on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

This vehicle drives like a dream. It has very little road noise. The heated seats tend to heat in spots causing hot spot on your rearend.

I Love This Car
By Tiah on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

This car is so awesome. I had wanted one for so long and after looking a bunch off lemons I found a real winner. Note to those who are looking to buy a cabrio. No matter where you buy it whether it be a dealer or private seller have an independent mechanic look at it. I looked at 6 before i found a good one. Its a young persons car and most young people don't take care of cars. Otherwise Great car.

I love my VW!
By Petunia on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Everyone else says that they have no pick up...they must be nuts! I have the zippiest car around. I like driving my car better than my mom's Jaguar XK8.