1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
GREAT car!
By lovecabrio on 08/31/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I bought my cab with 62,000 miles on it and it is now at 115,000. I have only had to replace a few minor things, probably only totaling to $1,000. The A/C does not work, but I don't really use it anyways. It drives great in the snow, I have never had to purchase snow tires and it out-drives my Ford F-250. Minor leaks in heavy rain. I get nearly 30 mpg, I love this car.

Drive Shaft
By Andrew on 04/30/08 16:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I love my 1999 little cab I bought it in 2005 with only 12000 km on the clock. Amazing! Also amazing was the fact that I had to replace the drive shaft at 50,000 km - hrrmph! Andrew

The Worst Purchase I Have Ever Made
By jayzee on 05/03/06 16:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

Little did I know when I bought my Cabrio that I would be visiting the mechanic every 5 months thereafter. On three different occasions my bill for repairs has been approximately $1,000. With 72,000 miles on the car I have replaed the entire A/ C system, both seals for the convertible top, the power steering pump, hoses, etc...and now I'm looking at another $1,000 to fix my passenger side window which no longer works. I'm finished putting more of my money into this terribly unreliable car. I would never recommend it to anyone else. I'm shopping for a Honda.

Very Dissatisfied
By Kristen on 11/16/05 17:23 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I purchased a 99' Cabrio in 2004 from a VW dealership. I paid $2,000 more for a 2 year warranty. In the past year, I have paid over $3,000 more for problems conveniently not covered by this warranty. Supposedly it was just inspected when I got it. Two weeks later, all 4 brakes, pads, etc went. This happened twice! The dealership said that I must have left the emergency brake on and didn't cover it either time, unbelievable! My car also had two different engine problems. The most recent problem is my passenger side door won't open. I am very dissatisfied with the whole thing. I am currently shopping for a Toyota now.

So Cute!
By msmeow1966 on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I bought the Cabrio to have for the driving in the summer months (Explorer in the winter) and I absolutely love it! It could use a little more pick up on the engine. Overall, it is very comfortable, cute (love the roll bar), and practical to drive. The back seat is roomier than other convertibles and the VW handling is excellent.