1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
99 vw CABRIO GLS, What A Fun Car!
By toycollector on 07/26/14 13:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased this 99 VW Cabrio used some many years ago. I wanted a convertible and My Grand mother swore by VW. Lest we forget, she bought her VW's when Volkswagon was still Volkswagon. So, as my Cabrio ages, I would be in for some of todays technology short falls or upgrades that the car could/should have done without and be better for it . I prefer it's look to todays cars, it has a great ride and handles well. And where do they come up with no power in the reviews. Mine goes like a bat out of, err a hot oven. It is pleasing to drive, fantastic when the top is down and the mid support has a good look. I drive this car anywhere I care to go with a big smile on my face.

FUN AND PROBLEMATIC + $$
By forreal1 on 07/03/13 11:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

The reviews point towards a car that is fun to drive, good-looking (unique style), comfortable for even tall drivers, higher clearance than many convertibles, a/c and heater works, heated seats put out moderate amount of heat, good winter driving capability (if you choose to), good on gas and easy to park. I think these points are valid and are the experience of the majority of owners. For me, the problem was a leaking transmission, which turned into a replacement of the filter and fluid. This was the beginning of an expensive problem. Many transmissions don't like changing older fluid for newer fluid. It upsets the balance inside the transmission. Stay away from cars with trans work.

GREAT car!
By lovecabrio on 08/31/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I bought my cab with 62,000 miles on it and it is now at 115,000. I have only had to replace a few minor things, probably only totaling to $1,000. The A/C does not work, but I don't really use it anyways. It drives great in the snow, I have never had to purchase snow tires and it out-drives my Ford F-250. Minor leaks in heavy rain. I get nearly 30 mpg, I love this car.

1999 VW Cabrio 2 Dr. GLS
By cmartin on 07/31/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Currently the owner of a second VW Cabrio and you would have thought I would learn my lesson. The car is cute, however I have realized that certain major & costly things go wrong with VW's - just a few examples: The window censors, the automatic roof motor, rotor & distributor moisture (which causes yearly replacement), cruise control malfunctions, and items within the interior to just fall off. While I love the exterior design I would never purchase another VW.

I love my Cabrio but...
By Meg on 07/02/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I love my cabrio. It is so fun to drive and so cute, but I have had to replace my cluster twice, replace my tail pipe and I'm due to replace my whole muffler system. My power top is leaking in 2 places and I have to replace the hydrolic fluid every summer or pay over 1,000$ to fix the leaks. I had a bad sensor, my check engine light is always on and my ABS light is on. It is also rusting all over despite my waxing it multiple times a year! This car is costing me almost as much in repairs as I payed for it! It is also going to be very hard to sell because who wants a convertible with a top that doesn't work with check engine lights on and incorrect mileage because the clusters were replaced?

9 years later
By Gogi on 06/24/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought the 99 cabrio in 2000 for around $20,000. I have replaced brakes, tires, muffler, window washer blades. It now has 66,000 miles and I am trading it in for a newer car. The automatic roof broke, but I didn't have it repaired. It's easy to do manually. I loved the car. I didn't have any of those problems mentioned in other posts.

Go Go Cabrio - Driver Found
By Julie on 12/10/08 14:16 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased my carbrio in the dead of winter 1999 & have driven it year round since with basic maintenance and care. Would like bigger better placed cup holders but love absolutely everything about my car so much I am finding it hard to find a suitable replacement for the future. I am nearing 100,000 miles & have required no major repair.

1999 VW Cabrio
By Barbara on 06/24/08 08:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I purchased my dream car - red '99 Cabrio in 1998 from a VW dealership. I am a very good driver of this (5- speed) beauty and it's been garaged for most of its life.The exterior and interior look almost brand new.I did have the power failure of the lights. However, VW said that my VIN did not match its recall list.Everything that was described in the recall happened to my car in 2007, causing a dangerous situation while on an Interstate.In 2007, the power boost on the passenger side for the convertible top failed. Today, the driver side failed. Each repair cost me $1,700. I wanted this car to last me forever!

Drive Shaft
By Andrew on 04/30/08 16:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I love my 1999 little cab I bought it in 2005 with only 12000 km on the clock. Amazing! Also amazing was the fact that I had to replace the drive shaft at 50,000 km - hrrmph! Andrew

I love my Cabby
By I love my Cabby on 12/25/07 09:47 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I read many reviews before buying my car, and chose to take the gamble. I bought it with the intention to have it last through the end of undergrad and grad school. I just graduated - it was a trooper and lasted! I have not had much trouble at all. I have replaced both the front and rear windows because they cracked (my own fault). It was very reasonable to replace the windows. The car, of course, does not have much power, but I still love it. I have even made it my own little SUV by adding a roof rack to it. I hope that VW makes a newer version in the coming years, so when mine eventually causes me problems due to old age, I can buy a new one!