Used 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS (1999.5) Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

I love my Cabrio but...
By Meg

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I love my cabrio. It is so fun to drive and so cute, but I have had to replace my cluster twice, replace my tail pipe and I'm due to replace my whole muffler system. My power top is leaking in 2 places and I have to replace the hydrolic fluid every summer or pay over 1,000$ to fix the leaks. I had a bad sensor, my check engine light is always on and my ABS light is on. It is also rusting all over despite my waxing it multiple times a year! This car is costing me almost as much in repairs as I payed for it! It is also going to be very hard to sell because who wants a convertible with a top that doesn't work with check engine lights on and incorrect mileage because the clusters were replaced?

So fun to drive and super cute!

Make a more reliable car or take responsibility for putting together a junker and help us pay for the repairs. If I take good care of my car and this happens to it, I shouldn't have to pay for your mistakes! And I agree with everyone else. The cupholders are ridiculous!

I love my Cabby
By I love my Cabby

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I read many reviews before buying my car, and chose to take the gamble. I bought it with the intention to have it last through the end of undergrad and grad school. I just graduated - it was a trooper and lasted! I have not had much trouble at all. I have replaced both the front and rear windows because they cracked (my own fault). It was very reasonable to replace the windows. The car, of course, does not have much power, but I still love it. I have even made it my own little SUV by adding a roof rack to it. I hope that VW makes a newer version in the coming years, so when mine eventually causes me problems due to old age, I can buy a new one!

Blue and orange interior lights, heated seats, small size great for city parking!

Better cup holders!

Has Been a Great Little Car
By coolher2002

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I have had relatively few problems with my 1999 Cabrio GLS. The only problem that I have had had as far as malfunctions go is what appears to be a short in the wiring system. The car's "service engine light" came on at about 50,000 miles. I took it in to the mechanic only to be told that nothing was wrong with the car, it is just programmed to go off so you will take it in an be serviced. The airbag light went on and I was told that it is a common problem as the sensors short out . I have yet to have it fixed.

It's pretty zippy for a small economical car. I love the convertible top. It is very easy to take down and put up. It's reliability is awesome.

Fix the cup holders as they are useless! Fix the short in the airbag sensor systems. I have no other complaints.

I love it!
By Ann

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I drive this car year round, sun, rain, snow, and ice, up and down the highways of the midwest. It has never let me down. It is a real trooper. It is even really good in the snow! Those Germans know what they are doing!

Top down cute factor.

Rear seat window control access when you are back there. Handles that flip the seat back down come loose. Everything else is great!

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio
By J Fox

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (midyear)

I will never buy another VW product. The convertible top operator has been replaced twice. The air conditioning has failed. The cloth top seams have delaminated requiring the whole top to be replaced. The electric window operators ocasionally malfunction. The car is 6 years old but has been driven less than 6,000 miles per year. It is a real lemon.