Used 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

99 vw CABRIO GLS, What A Fun Car!
By toycollector

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased this 99 VW Cabrio used some many years ago. I wanted a convertible and My Grand mother swore by VW. Lest we forget, she bought her VW's when Volkswagon was still Volkswagon. So, as my Cabrio ages, I would be in for some of todays technology short falls or upgrades that the car could/should have done without and be better for it . I prefer it's look to todays cars, it has a great ride and handles well. And where do they come up with no power in the reviews. Mine goes like a bat out of, err a hot oven. It is pleasing to drive, fantastic when the top is down and the mid support has a good look. I drive this car anywhere I care to go with a big smile on my face.

Favorite Features

The sound system is great. Those with sound complaints need new speakers. And the powered top is the cats meow, or the dogs woof, which ever way you swing. The seats are comfortable and the ride is always a treat. The dash is clear and well lit and I added a heads up MPH display to reflect my speed off the window. Just making cool, COOLER! I always look forward to my drives with the top down, even at night with a star filled sky. WHAT A FUN CAR!

Suggested Improvements

The car was created with a lot of stuff, if not all, from the associated car companies. VW I think joined with 2 others in the late 70's . The technology change from then on, not to the better. For one, This car does not need electric windows to break down, crank is fine thankyou. The rear view mirror needs a dim feature, or keeping with down sizing tech, a curved mirror to help keep the bright lights dim. The Radio needed to be better constructed, sounds great but physically falls apart. They need to abandon Clear Cote paint which peels off and is prohibitively expensive to repaint. The hub cap stickers fall off, so whats wrong with paint? VW needs to step back, away from hi tech!

FUN AND PROBLEMATIC + $$
By forreal1

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

The reviews point towards a car that is fun to drive, good-looking (unique style), comfortable for even tall drivers, higher clearance than many convertibles, a/c and heater works, heated seats put out moderate amount of heat, good winter driving capability (if you choose to), good on gas and easy to park. I think these points are valid and are the experience of the majority of owners. For me, the problem was a leaking transmission, which turned into a replacement of the filter and fluid. This was the beginning of an expensive problem. Many transmissions don't like changing older fluid for newer fluid. It upsets the balance inside the transmission. Stay away from cars with trans work.

1999 VW Cabrio 2 Dr. GLS
By cmartin

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Currently the owner of a second VW Cabrio and you would have thought I would learn my lesson. The car is cute, however I have realized that certain major & costly things go wrong with VW's - just a few examples: The window censors, the automatic roof motor, rotor & distributor moisture (which causes yearly replacement), cruise control malfunctions, and items within the interior to just fall off. While I love the exterior design I would never purchase another VW.

Favorite Features

Blue Interior Lights and convertible

Suggested Improvements

I love the cabrio, however my suggestion is to review the performance of the car in the rain. I live in PA. where we get cold winters & average rainfall... but the car performance in the rain vs. dry conditions is night & day.

9 years later
By Gogi

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought the 99 cabrio in 2000 for around $20,000. I have replaced brakes, tires, muffler, window washer blades. It now has 66,000 miles and I am trading it in for a newer car. The automatic roof broke, but I didn't have it repaired. It's easy to do manually. I loved the car. I didn't have any of those problems mentioned in other posts.

Go Go Cabrio - Driver Found
By Julie

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased my carbrio in the dead of winter 1999 & have driven it year round since with basic maintenance and care. Would like bigger better placed cup holders but love absolutely everything about my car so much I am finding it hard to find a suitable replacement for the future. I am nearing 100,000 miles & have required no major repair.

Favorite Features

My leather, heated seats. Great for my passenger side buddy, Max the Siberian husky :) Um, people in other Cabrios like to wave too (even when Max isn't in the car) - Can we consider vw owners friendliness a feature? If so add it on.

Suggested Improvements

None - for the year produced it was great! Still runs great! Looks Great! Like I said... Driver Found :)