Used 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Therapy for the Soul
By Swampfox

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I owned a used 1972 Fiat 850 years ago and it was a blast. Had the opportunity to buy a used 1998 VW Cabrio and the memories came rushing back. No, this car is not 350HP. It's better. Therapy for the soul! Euro- handling and enough horsepower to have fun, fun, fun, and merge with traffic at the same time. Put the top down on a nice Fall or Spring day and enjoy crusing the two lane roads and enjoy the view. Today we worry too much about ultimate performance and too little about ultimate enjoyment. The Cabrio is meant to be enjoyed. The new Cabrio Beetle is nice but mine is better, for me. I have driven both. This is the car to have to take time out, kick back, and enjoy the moment.

Favorite Features

5 Speed, 6 CD Stereo, sports handling, comfort, convertible (top down), and great gas mileage. Use Premium ONLY. Actual mpg: 28city/36hwy.

Suggested Improvements

Not a thing!

Shoot Me and My Car NOW
By Shoot Me Now!

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

The convertible top dry rotted and ripped. VW is supposed to help us out (there was a class action lawsuit) and the dealer is giving me a terrible time with this. So in the meantime the interior of my car is getting drenched each time it rains. The customer service all in all is horrendous. Not only did the top rip but other things are falling apart: the door slams shut on your leg. The indoor handle broke. The back seat is ripped at the seams and no one even rides back there. Cup holder broke. The outdoor handle is loose. This thing is one shoddy piece of work! I will NEVER buy another VW.

Favorite Features

Used to be the convertible top, but I can't use it anymore. Or maybe it's become a permanent "top down" or "no top" convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Stop putting these cars together cheaply and improve your customer service!

fun car!!!
By nkayne

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

This car is so much fun to drive. I love the way it handles and all of the features that it has. I recommend this car to a someone that loves the freedom of a convertable! The best thing about this little car is that you can roll down the windows from the outside when you hold the key in the lock. This makes it great when you want to put the top down!

Favorite Features

convertable, the body style, and 6 disc cd player, and the alarm/how the widows roll down!

Suggested Improvements

the noise when you are on the highway and it isn't very roomy if you have to take people with you.

Girl Car
By Trickrat

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I've only had the '98 Cabrio a few days, but I have officially parked my SUV and have been zipping around town in it! It handles great, the top down is great. Most of all, the gas milelage. I've driven 170 miles [in the city] and it just hit half a tank! My SUV can't do that. (Heck, it barely does it on the highway). It's easy to park, too!

Favorite Features

Color (bright red), convertible top, trunk space, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders suck. They are placed right under the dash...no real cup or can go go in them. I use the single one in the back (since it's so close).

i LOVE my car
By bebevw

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I have had no problems in the past year+ of owning this car (even with negligently little maintenance). Volkswagen has won me over completely... VWs have more "soul" or personality than other cars I have driven and/or loved. I wouldn't trade my car for anything else!!