Used 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Bag for the buck
By Al Hopkins

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

Great car to drive!Not my first VW I have bought, this is why I bought this one. Fun to drive, even with the top down:>) For me easy to work on,great bag for the buck. Had to replace ball joints 'cause rubber boot was torn, These Cabrio's are a very durable reliable vehicle. Super fast no! Although for a 2.0 it is pretty quick for the placement under the hood Handling is excellent. For a '98 friends/people cannot believe it is this old of a vehicle. This is a "best kept secret" for those of us young at heart. Miata eat your heart out!!!

Favorite Features

Of course the convertible, five speed, great gas mileage (aver-30 plus) regardless if I zip or take it easy. Easy to check fluids. Security system, power widows too!

Suggested Improvements

I don't know! May complain 'cause lack of cup holders, care less 'bout that anyway.

I am a VW convert!!!
By alecia

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I love this car! I have had convertables before, but never as fun as this one! The top is easy to put up and down (I have a manual one). Gas mileage is great. It handles highway speeds (80+) with no problems. I am not a girly girl but this is a "chick" car to die for. I will say the only draw back is THE CUP HOLDERS! I have spilt Starbucks more than once. My next new vehicle will be a VW of some sort!! Commuters... this is the car of your dreams.

Favorite Features

Easy to go topless. Gas mileage. Handles well!!

Suggested Improvements

This car is soooo good the only thing I can say is CUP HOLDERS! Somrwhere you can put a cup in them.

fun car!!!
By nkayne

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

This car is so much fun to drive. I love the way it handles and all of the features that it has. I recommend this car to a someone that loves the freedom of a convertable! The best thing about this little car is that you can roll down the windows from the outside when you hold the key in the lock. This makes it great when you want to put the top down!

Favorite Features

convertable, the body style, and 6 disc cd player, and the alarm/how the widows roll down!

Suggested Improvements

the noise when you are on the highway and it isn't very roomy if you have to take people with you.

Girl Car
By Trickrat

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I've only had the '98 Cabrio a few days, but I have officially parked my SUV and have been zipping around town in it! It handles great, the top down is great. Most of all, the gas milelage. I've driven 170 miles [in the city] and it just hit half a tank! My SUV can't do that. (Heck, it barely does it on the highway). It's easy to park, too!

Favorite Features

Color (bright red), convertible top, trunk space, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders suck. They are placed right under the dash...no real cup or can go go in them. I use the single one in the back (since it's so close).

Fun, but poor electrics
By NoMore

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

Very fun to drive, especially with the top down. Expensive to maintain. Constantly having electrical and quality problems. If considering a VW, get the extended warranty. It has saved me thousands in repairs: new roof, new windshield, new ignition, electrical issues inside dash board (blinker controls and hazard lights), CD changer keeps reseting, intermittent defog and A/C (still cannot find problem), ...

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, especially with top down.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system is horrible. Need new quality standards, current ones are inadequate. Expensive to repair. Roof leaks where joins front windshield.