1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

1998 Cabrio Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Sort Reviews by

I Love My Little Car!
By misanthropist

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I've had my Cabrio for only about a month and I've noticed a few flaws such as the tires the previous owner put on it are too big and grind when I have rear passengers. That or my suspension needs an update. My ABS and E brake lights stay on when driving but not ALL the time. A few of the automatic features don't work.. my top is now manuel which I don't mind. My driver window doesn't like to roll up normally. My mirrors aren't automatic anymore. My cruise control I don't believe works.. I havn't really looked into figuring how to set it though, so maybe it does. My seats are difficult to move back and forth and My trunk light doesn't come on. However, those are all minor things to me.

Favorite Features

It only had 98,000 miles. The trunk is very large considering the size of the car. I like the seats shape. The AC works great in my specific car. It can get up and going if need be. It fits in parking lot spaces very easily. It's not a great mountain car but it's a great city/beach car. I just love her.

Suggested Improvements

I suppose nothing.

For a 14 yr old car this is a great little car
By mparadise

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought a '98 Cabrio GLS earlier this year as a summer toy and to save on gas vs my large V8 truck. I was fortunate to find one that was well taken care of with 105k+ miles on it. This thing is solid and a BLAST to drive. I needed to do some minor maintenance to it when I bought it but it just goes & goes. I am hoping that with proper maintenance it will last me 4-5+ more summers of fun if not more.

Favorite Features

Easy to operate power top, comfy heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Larger/better located cup holders. Love everything else about it.

STAY AWAY!
By ashley

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

i HATE this car. i take care of it and all it does is fall apart on me. there are countless holes in roof *one 1 FOOT hole*, the windows don't go up or down, the driver door doesnt open, the vanity, dash and overhead lights don't work. when the visors are up, the open trunk light comes on, the leathers ripped, the speakers and radio don't work, the air vents broke off and are inside my dash somewhere. it doesn't tell me how much gas i have. im ALWAYS on complete empty. the exhaust rusted off completely. its a stick and 2nd gear ALWAYS grinds. bc of holes the backseat floors r constantly wet making it smell so bad and nothing that touches it is ruined. frost develops on inside windows.

Favorite Features

nothing

Suggested Improvements

they cant improve the worst. that's why they don't make it anymore

Bag for the buck
By Al Hopkins

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

Great car to drive!Not my first VW I have bought, this is why I bought this one. Fun to drive, even with the top down:>) For me easy to work on,great bag for the buck. Had to replace ball joints 'cause rubber boot was torn, These Cabrio's are a very durable reliable vehicle. Super fast no! Although for a 2.0 it is pretty quick for the placement under the hood Handling is excellent. For a '98 friends/people cannot believe it is this old of a vehicle. This is a "best kept secret" for those of us young at heart. Miata eat your heart out!!!

Favorite Features

Of course the convertible, five speed, great gas mileage (aver-30 plus) regardless if I zip or take it easy. Easy to check fluids. Security system, power widows too!

Suggested Improvements

I don't know! May complain 'cause lack of cup holders, care less 'bout that anyway.

Avoid 90's VWs
By Jim

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

My 2 daughters both insisted on VW (98 Cabrio and 99 Golf). These cars are killing me,. The cabrio has a ton of electronic issues, the top is now manual, warning lights come and go, power locks don't work speedometer is intermittent. Getting these repaired is expensive as VW parts are year specific and EXPENSIVE. Nearly every plastic piece has snapped off (visor, glovebox handle, knobs). It has happened on both cars. Do not buy VW's. I own 2 old VW's (1973 Bug and 79 Bus), but have purchased my last modern VW product.

Favorite Features

Cute car

Suggested Improvements

Electrical and mechanical nightmare that will end up costing twice the purchase price

I Love my Cabrio!
By Nuru

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Back in the 80's there was this movie, "Can't Buy Me Love" and the girl had the Cabriolet in white. I fell in love with the car then. When I had the opportunity to buy the same car I loved back then, in 2001, I jumped on it and never looked back. I can't tell you how many people have asked to buy the car from me. I was hit 2 times in that car, and both times the other car was more damaged than my little tank. The second time it was an SUV that hit me. The whole front of the other car was crumpled. Overall, my Cabrio has served me well. I will only replace it with a convertible Mini as that's the only other thing I've driven that's as fun.

Favorite Features

Having a convertible top is great. The one touch windows are great also. The gas mileage is a plus with gas prices today. She turns on EVERY day. Even when I don't treat her well.

Suggested Improvements

What can I say about the cup holders. They are terrible! The trunk is small, but what else can you expect with a convertible.

I am a VW convert!!!
By alecia

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I love this car! I have had convertables before, but never as fun as this one! The top is easy to put up and down (I have a manual one). Gas mileage is great. It handles highway speeds (80+) with no problems. I am not a girly girl but this is a "chick" car to die for. I will say the only draw back is THE CUP HOLDERS! I have spilt Starbucks more than once. My next new vehicle will be a VW of some sort!! Commuters... this is the car of your dreams.

Favorite Features

Easy to go topless. Gas mileage. Handles well!!

Suggested Improvements

This car is soooo good the only thing I can say is CUP HOLDERS! Somrwhere you can put a cup in them.

A Good Choice
By Justiss

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

This car has been very dependable and yet affordable. I would definitely recommend that consumers look into this model of car for a smart, economical driver.

Favorite Features

The shape and the roof. It's also very roomy.

Suggested Improvements

More power would be nice, along with better tires.

Overall, I don't like it
By rj

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought this car new 7 years ago. The cloth top has held up very well, looks nearly new but the inside of the roof is very dirty. Drive alot with the top down and the rear seats are always filthy. Light color leather is always a bad idea in a convertible. I had a mustang conv. w/ med grey leather & was much easier to clean, lower seat backs kept it from getting dirty. Problems...Inside door handle broke, power top reseviour cracked - leaked oil all over truck, took three weeks for back order part. Stalls in rain - needs $300 ingition module. Rust on window header cracked windshield. Had alternator replaced twice.. Door trim panels vinyl is bubbling and peeling. Rust is begining everywhere.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive at steady speed, goo handling, but 100Hp engine is very burdened by heavy weight of car - no pick-up. 1-touch up down on front windows. I like that when the car is unlocked you can open the truck w/o key. Heat and AC are powerful, comes in good when crusing top down.

Suggested Improvements

Needs remote key fob. Needs lock button on door not cetner of I/P. Needs 1-touch open close on roof. Needs 1-touch up on rear windows too, why only provide half of a good thing? Seats are uncomfortable and awkward to adjust. Avoid vinyl top. Need to improve quality...I will never by another VW

Time to Unwind
By Digger

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Fun car! Use it for my "attitude adjustment". Terrific gas mileage, excellent handling, very comfortable for longer drives (the front seats anyway). Bought used with 76K (one owner, well maintained)an it already had the original top replaced. Read horror story reviews about the electronics but either they have already been fixed or I lucked out. Not a speed burner but can get to 50 plus before I hit fourth gear! I couldn't find an economical convertible with a manual stick that could seat four, although trunk space is minimal. That's where having a back seat helps, unlike a Miata, MR2, etc. I did buy 15" rims to fill up the wheel wells a bit more and they don't hurt the handling!

Favorite Features

Handling, gas mileage, sound system, awesome heater.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now, but a higher horsepower engine would have been nice. A 1.8T if I have to replace what I have if it will fit!