1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
I Love My Little Car!
By misanthropist on 07/10/12 16:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I've had my Cabrio for only about a month and I've noticed a few flaws such as the tires the previous owner put on it are too big and grind when I have rear passengers. That or my suspension needs an update. My ABS and E brake lights stay on when driving but not ALL the time. A few of the automatic features don't work.. my top is now manuel which I don't mind. My driver window doesn't like to roll up normally. My mirrors aren't automatic anymore. My cruise control I don't believe works.. I havn't really looked into figuring how to set it though, so maybe it does. My seats are difficult to move back and forth and My trunk light doesn't come on. However, those are all minor things to me.

For a 14 yr old car this is a great little car
By mparadise on 05/13/12 18:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought a '98 Cabrio GLS earlier this year as a summer toy and to save on gas vs my large V8 truck. I was fortunate to find one that was well taken care of with 105k+ miles on it. This thing is solid and a BLAST to drive. I needed to do some minor maintenance to it when I bought it but it just goes & goes. I am hoping that with proper maintenance it will last me 4-5+ more summers of fun if not more.

STAY AWAY!
By ashley on 03/27/10 13:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

i HATE this car. i take care of it and all it does is fall apart on me. there are countless holes in roof *one 1 FOOT hole*, the windows don't go up or down, the driver door doesnt open, the vanity, dash and overhead lights don't work. when the visors are up, the open trunk light comes on, the leathers ripped, the speakers and radio don't work, the air vents broke off and are inside my dash somewhere. it doesn't tell me how much gas i have. im ALWAYS on complete empty. the exhaust rusted off completely. its a stick and 2nd gear ALWAYS grinds. bc of holes the backseat floors r constantly wet making it smell so bad and nothing that touches it is ruined. frost develops on inside windows.

Bag for the buck
By Al Hopkins on 12/30/09 12:43 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

Great car to drive!Not my first VW I have bought, this is why I bought this one. Fun to drive, even with the top down:>) For me easy to work on,great bag for the buck. Had to replace ball joints 'cause rubber boot was torn, These Cabrio's are a very durable reliable vehicle. Super fast no! Although for a 2.0 it is pretty quick for the placement under the hood Handling is excellent. For a '98 friends/people cannot believe it is this old of a vehicle. This is a "best kept secret" for those of us young at heart. Miata eat your heart out!!!

Avoid 90's VWs
By Jim on 03/16/09 17:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

My 2 daughters both insisted on VW (98 Cabrio and 99 Golf). These cars are killing me,. The cabrio has a ton of electronic issues, the top is now manual, warning lights come and go, power locks don't work speedometer is intermittent. Getting these repaired is expensive as VW parts are year specific and EXPENSIVE. Nearly every plastic piece has snapped off (visor, glovebox handle, knobs). It has happened on both cars. Do not buy VW's. I own 2 old VW's (1973 Bug and 79 Bus), but have purchased my last modern VW product.

I Love my Cabrio!
By Nuru on 08/20/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Back in the 80's there was this movie, "Can't Buy Me Love" and the girl had the Cabriolet in white. I fell in love with the car then. When I had the opportunity to buy the same car I loved back then, in 2001, I jumped on it and never looked back. I can't tell you how many people have asked to buy the car from me. I was hit 2 times in that car, and both times the other car was more damaged than my little tank. The second time it was an SUV that hit me. The whole front of the other car was crumpled. Overall, my Cabrio has served me well. I will only replace it with a convertible Mini as that's the only other thing I've driven that's as fun.

I am a VW convert!!!
By alecia on 05/17/07 21:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible

I love this car! I have had convertables before, but never as fun as this one! The top is easy to put up and down (I have a manual one). Gas mileage is great. It handles highway speeds (80+) with no problems. I am not a girly girl but this is a "chick" car to die for. I will say the only draw back is THE CUP HOLDERS! I have spilt Starbucks more than once. My next new vehicle will be a VW of some sort!! Commuters... this is the car of your dreams.

A Good Choice
By Justiss on 09/04/05 19:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

This car has been very dependable and yet affordable. I would definitely recommend that consumers look into this model of car for a smart, economical driver.

Overall, I don't like it
By rj on 06/28/05 09:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought this car new 7 years ago. The cloth top has held up very well, looks nearly new but the inside of the roof is very dirty. Drive alot with the top down and the rear seats are always filthy. Light color leather is always a bad idea in a convertible. I had a mustang conv. w/ med grey leather & was much easier to clean, lower seat backs kept it from getting dirty. Problems...Inside door handle broke, power top reseviour cracked - leaked oil all over truck, took three weeks for back order part. Stalls in rain - needs $300 ingition module. Rust on window header cracked windshield. Had alternator replaced twice.. Door trim panels vinyl is bubbling and peeling. Rust is begining everywhere.

Time to Unwind
By Digger on 06/21/05 23:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Fun car! Use it for my "attitude adjustment". Terrific gas mileage, excellent handling, very comfortable for longer drives (the front seats anyway). Bought used with 76K (one owner, well maintained)an it already had the original top replaced. Read horror story reviews about the electronics but either they have already been fixed or I lucked out. Not a speed burner but can get to 50 plus before I hit fourth gear! I couldn't find an economical convertible with a manual stick that could seat four, although trunk space is minimal. That's where having a back seat helps, unlike a Miata, MR2, etc. I did buy 15" rims to fill up the wheel wells a bit more and they don't hurt the handling!