Used 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

I Love My Little Car!
By misanthropist

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I've had my Cabrio for only about a month and I've noticed a few flaws such as the tires the previous owner put on it are too big and grind when I have rear passengers. That or my suspension needs an update. My ABS and E brake lights stay on when driving but not ALL the time. A few of the automatic features don't work.. my top is now manuel which I don't mind. My driver window doesn't like to roll up normally. My mirrors aren't automatic anymore. My cruise control I don't believe works.. I havn't really looked into figuring how to set it though, so maybe it does. My seats are difficult to move back and forth and My trunk light doesn't come on. However, those are all minor things to me.

It only had 98,000 miles. The trunk is very large considering the size of the car. I like the seats shape. The AC works great in my specific car. It can get up and going if need be. It fits in parking lot spaces very easily. It's not a great mountain car but it's a great city/beach car. I just love her.

I suppose nothing.

For a 14 yr old car this is a great little car
By mparadise

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I bought a '98 Cabrio GLS earlier this year as a summer toy and to save on gas vs my large V8 truck. I was fortunate to find one that was well taken care of with 105k+ miles on it. This thing is solid and a BLAST to drive. I needed to do some minor maintenance to it when I bought it but it just goes & goes. I am hoping that with proper maintenance it will last me 4-5+ more summers of fun if not more.

Easy to operate power top, comfy heated seats

Larger/better located cup holders. Love everything else about it.

STAY AWAY!
By ashley

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

i HATE this car. i take care of it and all it does is fall apart on me. there are countless holes in roof *one 1 FOOT hole*, the windows don't go up or down, the driver door doesnt open, the vanity, dash and overhead lights don't work. when the visors are up, the open trunk light comes on, the leathers ripped, the speakers and radio don't work, the air vents broke off and are inside my dash somewhere. it doesn't tell me how much gas i have. im ALWAYS on complete empty. the exhaust rusted off completely. its a stick and 2nd gear ALWAYS grinds. bc of holes the backseat floors r constantly wet making it smell so bad and nothing that touches it is ruined. frost develops on inside windows.

nothing

they cant improve the worst. that's why they don't make it anymore

Avoid 90's VWs
By Jim

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

My 2 daughters both insisted on VW (98 Cabrio and 99 Golf). These cars are killing me,. The cabrio has a ton of electronic issues, the top is now manual, warning lights come and go, power locks don't work speedometer is intermittent. Getting these repaired is expensive as VW parts are year specific and EXPENSIVE. Nearly every plastic piece has snapped off (visor, glovebox handle, knobs). It has happened on both cars. Do not buy VW's. I own 2 old VW's (1973 Bug and 79 Bus), but have purchased my last modern VW product.

Cute car

Electrical and mechanical nightmare that will end up costing twice the purchase price

I Love my Cabrio!
By Nuru

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

Back in the 80's there was this movie, "Can't Buy Me Love" and the girl had the Cabriolet in white. I fell in love with the car then. When I had the opportunity to buy the same car I loved back then, in 2001, I jumped on it and never looked back. I can't tell you how many people have asked to buy the car from me. I was hit 2 times in that car, and both times the other car was more damaged than my little tank. The second time it was an SUV that hit me. The whole front of the other car was crumpled. Overall, my Cabrio has served me well. I will only replace it with a convertible Mini as that's the only other thing I've driven that's as fun.

Having a convertible top is great. The one touch windows are great also. The gas mileage is a plus with gas prices today. She turns on EVERY day. Even when I don't treat her well.

What can I say about the cup holders. They are terrible! The trunk is small, but what else can you expect with a convertible.