1998 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Bag for the buck
By Al Hopkins on 12/30/09 12:43 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

Great car to drive!Not my first VW I have bought, this is why I bought this one. Fun to drive, even with the top down:>) For me easy to work on,great bag for the buck. Had to replace ball joints 'cause rubber boot was torn, These Cabrio's are a very durable reliable vehicle. Super fast no! Although for a 2.0 it is pretty quick for the placement under the hood Handling is excellent. For a '98 friends/people cannot believe it is this old of a vehicle. This is a "best kept secret" for those of us young at heart. Miata eat your heart out!!!

I am a VW convert!!!
By alecia on 05/17/07 21:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

I love this car! I have had convertables before, but never as fun as this one! The top is easy to put up and down (I have a manual one). Gas mileage is great. It handles highway speeds (80+) with no problems. I am not a girly girl but this is a "chick" car to die for. I will say the only draw back is THE CUP HOLDERS! I have spilt Starbucks more than once. My next new vehicle will be a VW of some sort!! Commuters... this is the car of your dreams.

fun car!!!
By nkayne on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

This car is so much fun to drive. I love the way it handles and all of the features that it has. I recommend this car to a someone that loves the freedom of a convertable! The best thing about this little car is that you can roll down the windows from the outside when you hold the key in the lock. This makes it great when you want to put the top down!

Girl Car
By Trickrat on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

I've only had the '98 Cabrio a few days, but I have officially parked my SUV and have been zipping around town in it! It handles great, the top down is great. Most of all, the gas milelage. I've driven 170 miles [in the city] and it just hit half a tank! My SUV can't do that. (Heck, it barely does it on the highway). It's easy to park, too!

Fun, but poor electrics
By NoMore on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

Very fun to drive, especially with the top down. Expensive to maintain. Constantly having electrical and quality problems. If considering a VW, get the extended warranty. It has saved me thousands in repairs: new roof, new windshield, new ignition, electrical issues inside dash board (blinker controls and hazard lights), CD changer keeps reseting, intermittent defog and A/C (still cannot find problem), ...

LOVE my Cabrio!
By ejcabrio on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

if you want a convertible that is also quite safe, THIS is the car. sporty, peppy, fun to drive.

I Love My Car
By Danielle on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

It was time to give up my 1989 Cabriolet and I wouldn't buy anything but this car. They are hard to find, however the wait was well worth it. And I did wait about 5 months before I found one. The combination of German handling, top-down driving and price is hard to beat. Would I rather drive a Porsche cabrio? Well, yeah, but I can't afford it. This is the next and absolute best thing.

Good Time Fun Car
By Cayce on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

I have owned my Cabrio for two years, and still get butterflies driving down the road with the top down. The car handles great, especially with high performance tires. My only complaint is with the patterned cloth seats, they're very "Mickey Mouse." My only problem with the vehicle was when the "start up tune" wouldn't stop playing; that was maddening. I love encountering other Cabrios when traveling; I've yet to meet one whose owner didn't smile and wave!

Cute but needs lots more power
By Srunr26 on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible

When the weather was nice and I could put the top down, I loved this car. The rest of the time, I was not happy with it. I got the automatic transmission because I drive in heavy traffic. Big mistake. I should have been suspicious when none of the dealers I went to for a test drive had an automatic to test drive, but I went ahead and got the automatic anyway. The car would not shift when it needed to. I had to take it in several times for this to be adjusted. Also very disappointed in the lack of power. Merging into heavy, fast traffic was a nightmare. I recently sold this car and I am very happy that I did.