Used 1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Fahrvegnugen, but....
By Osedax

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought it used. Super fun to drive, but will never buy a VW again. Parts are incredibly expensive! Taken to the same VW ind. service dude who's been in business servicing VW's for 30 years. HE says they are great to 50K miles, then dump them--they break and are too expensive to service (but that's been good for him he admits!). Sage advice. I keep my cars a long time, and thus will never buy a Cabrio (or any VW) again. Purchase at your peril.

Sits you up high, and drives well.

Lower the servicing costs.

Got in new, still luv it..
By Beth

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought it new in 1997. Still have it. other than tires, batterys and maintenance only made two repairs...new starter 5 years in, and new top 8 years in. I have had to glue the side trim back on with boat glue from home depot..dealer wanted $300 for that repair. Also, have glue on many places on the body..back cup holder, side trim inside by door, radio buttons. All electronics still work, engine still reliable, AC died at 10 years/100,000. Pretty good car though.

convertible of course, electronic locks, windows, cup holders all over, well designed console, reliability of engine

better quality body.

Do not recommend
By Cynthia

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

From the day I drove it off the lot...lots of problems. I immediately had to replace the soft-top. Had an anti-freeze leak. The side panels have fallen off and glue will no longer keep them on! I have replaced the hubcaps so many times. The reflector light keeps falling off and I have to replace it for inspection. The driver's side interior door handle is busted. The rubber around the antenna and windows is dry-rotting. The exhaust system has rusted out and I have to replace it this week. The muffler is hanging off! I bought this car used, but come on. I thought I was buying a high quality vehicle. I would never buy VW again.

Driving at night with the top down, stargazing.

I think VW should replace their lemons. There are more things that have gone wrong I haven't mentioned.

I wouldn't recommed this vehicle...
By Dalia

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

Maybe it's because I bought it used, but overall this car has been a disaster. It has a clean title and I do a lot of upkeep and it still keeps making its way back into the shop...and repairs are EXPENSIVE. Parts are not cheap for this car at all. I have had numerous problems with oxygen sensors and with the cooling system. My latest woe was having to replace the timing belt and radiator. It's actually in the shop as I speak...and I made need the catalytic converter replaced....ouch....I'm now in the market for a new vehicle.

It's convertible which is fun. The top is pretty strong and the back window is glass. The fact that it's convertible is about the only thing I like.

Definite imporovements need to be made to the cooling system as well to some of the exterior and interior components. The sidings on the doors fall off periodically and the seat adjutment knob has broken off. Also, the puke green color of the instrument panel has started to bother me more and more

Excellent Car!!!
By lovevwcab

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

I love my car. It's been a low maintence vehicle and fun to drive.

Convertible and handling