1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
97 Cabrio Highline
By greatfavad on 04/07/11 04:48 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabrio new and recently turned over 100,000 miles. The car has been terrific from the beginning and remains so. Very exciting performance. The only car I've owned that was more fun was a 1974 Alfa GTV Veloce. During this time, the only problem I've experienced with it is an occasional malfunction of the cruise control. That's it. All other systems and controls have been perfect. Garage kept and routine maintenance and three tire changes in almost 15 years. I'm planning to bring it to Florida as a second car after I get a new Eos for NY. I'll change the shocks and some touch up body paint and I'll have a great vintage Florida convertible.

just got it
By Mike on 04/08/09 01:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

Just got the Cabrio 97 convertable for the wife, at 125K miles, she loves it. I'm already doing work on it, and seen records of work from previous owner, which concerns me and the costs(online purchases are the way to go.) The side trims have come off, the cloth top is torn (heard the cloth is prone to that)..so got viynl online, which I heard takes awhile to install..10hours? For a 4 cylinder, it runs nice and tight. I'm getting around 30mpg, more than the 24 stated. I have to get used to the reverse being in the same spot as 1st. Nice seats, but have problems with the back seat folding down completely..would be better for a dog and storage. High dash with low front seats. Fun to drive!

A Mess
By JK on 08/28/08 06:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

The car is fun to drive and looks great. BUT: problems problems problems! Outside door trim falling off (seems to be a trend with mid 90's vw's), window trim warped so rain leaks in, leak at driver's visor (cannot drive or park in rain or water drips on your leg), backseat floods when rains, coolant leak x 2, and, to top it all off: transmission failed at 115,000 miles. the parts store in my town knows my dad by name because of all the parts he picks up (luckily he's been able to do a lot of the work himself). oh yeah, let's not forget, the electrical went out at 89,000 miles. the car would not start if it rained and would stall out wherever you were if it started.

So good, I'm getting another one....
By jgoolia on 03/23/06 20:09 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabrio a year and a half ago, and I've had a blast ever since. I loved the leather interior, the heated seats, CD player, AWESOME speakers...unfortunately I was hit by another driver and that car was totalled but I am currently looking for another Cabrio!!! I'm HOOKED!!

An often overlooked fun budget car
By Busbodger on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

We paid $5500 for our car. It needs tires and the front bumper and grille has stone wear on it, but we'll tackle it later. Fun to drive, plenty of room for 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 baby seats. Frugal and easy to maintain. A wonderful update to our 1984 Rabbit Convertible. I would recommend this convertible as it was easy to incorporate into our lives. Both fun and sensible and durable. My previous '84 Convertible had close to 200K miles when I sold it and I expect to see the same durability in this car. The steel encased trunk, added safety features (ABS, rollbar, airbags), cloth top, and leather interior are very nice updates! Contact me if have any quest

n/a
By Saxychik8 on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

I love my Cabrio! It handles well, it's compact and great for gas. It's manual version has got to get-up-and-go power! Not much room for back seat passengers, but definately not the worst I've ever seen. The ultimate chick car. Powerful air conditioning, great sytle. My cabrio has 100,000 miles on it and it drives like new!

Fun, reliable car!!!
By philer on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

This is the fifth VW convertible I've had over the years and this has definitely been the best model. It is solid and great fun to drive. Everything about it is quality. The sound system is great; it has great pick-up and passing ability and lots of room for a small vehicle. And when you drive down the road with the top down, the sun beaming down and the stereo cranked, there is nothing better!!!

Fun car, poor quality
By Ibycus on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

Since I purchased the car in 1999 I have has the following fixes (outside of normal wear and tear): Replaced the cloth top ($1200), the antenna, parts in the gear shifter, the whole windshield washer fluid system (tubes, sprayers etc), air-conditioning refrigerator ($1200). Plastic parts are always falling off, the seat adjusters, parts of the handles, parts in the trunk, the outside molding. The car quality is poor at best. All the parts are very very expensive. It's a nice looking car, so just look at it, don't touch it or it will fall apart.

Ugh
By amwhite on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

I love the styling and design of this car (except the cup holders, that is). It's been a fun car to drive and I get lots of compliments and cat-calls. However, it has fallen flat when it comes to performance and reliability. The ABS brake light has been on for years (nobody seems to know why), the A/C system died after only three years, there is a strange clunking in the rear tires that has been there since day one, I could go on and on. And, I shudder to think about the amount of money I've dumped into this car.