1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
97 Cabrio Highline
By greatfavad on 04/07/11 04:48 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabrio new and recently turned over 100,000 miles. The car has been terrific from the beginning and remains so. Very exciting performance. The only car I've owned that was more fun was a 1974 Alfa GTV Veloce. During this time, the only problem I've experienced with it is an occasional malfunction of the cruise control. That's it. All other systems and controls have been perfect. Garage kept and routine maintenance and three tire changes in almost 15 years. I'm planning to bring it to Florida as a second car after I get a new Eos for NY. I'll change the shocks and some touch up body paint and I'll have a great vintage Florida convertible.

Fahrvegnugen, but....
By Osedax on 09/25/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

Bought it used. Super fun to drive, but will never buy a VW again. Parts are incredibly expensive! Taken to the same VW ind. service dude who's been in business servicing VW's for 30 years. HE says they are great to 50K miles, then dump them--they break and are too expensive to service (but that's been good for him he admits!). Sage advice. I keep my cars a long time, and thus will never buy a Cabrio (or any VW) again. Purchase at your peril.

Got in new, still luv it..
By Beth on 08/06/09 13:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought it new in 1997. Still have it. other than tires, batterys and maintenance only made two repairs...new starter 5 years in, and new top 8 years in. I have had to glue the side trim back on with boat glue from home depot..dealer wanted $300 for that repair. Also, have glue on many places on the body..back cup holder, side trim inside by door, radio buttons. All electronics still work, engine still reliable, AC died at 10 years/100,000. Pretty good car though.

just got it
By Mike on 04/08/09 01:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

Just got the Cabrio 97 convertable for the wife, at 125K miles, she loves it. I'm already doing work on it, and seen records of work from previous owner, which concerns me and the costs(online purchases are the way to go.) The side trims have come off, the cloth top is torn (heard the cloth is prone to that)..so got viynl online, which I heard takes awhile to install..10hours? For a 4 cylinder, it runs nice and tight. I'm getting around 30mpg, more than the 24 stated. I have to get used to the reverse being in the same spot as 1st. Nice seats, but have problems with the back seat folding down completely..would be better for a dog and storage. High dash with low front seats. Fun to drive!

A Mess
By JK on 08/28/08 06:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

The car is fun to drive and looks great. BUT: problems problems problems! Outside door trim falling off (seems to be a trend with mid 90's vw's), window trim warped so rain leaks in, leak at driver's visor (cannot drive or park in rain or water drips on your leg), backseat floods when rains, coolant leak x 2, and, to top it all off: transmission failed at 115,000 miles. the parts store in my town knows my dad by name because of all the parts he picks up (luckily he's been able to do a lot of the work himself). oh yeah, let's not forget, the electrical went out at 89,000 miles. the car would not start if it rained and would stall out wherever you were if it started.

So good, I'm getting another one....
By jgoolia on 03/23/06 20:09 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabrio a year and a half ago, and I've had a blast ever since. I loved the leather interior, the heated seats, CD player, AWESOME speakers...unfortunately I was hit by another driver and that car was totalled but I am currently looking for another Cabrio!!! I'm HOOKED!!

Do not recommend
By Cynthia on 09/27/05 01:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

From the day I drove it off the lot...lots of problems. I immediately had to replace the soft-top. Had an anti-freeze leak. The side panels have fallen off and glue will no longer keep them on! I have replaced the hubcaps so many times. The reflector light keeps falling off and I have to replace it for inspection. The driver's side interior door handle is busted. The rubber around the antenna and windows is dry-rotting. The exhaust system has rusted out and I have to replace it this week. The muffler is hanging off! I bought this car used, but come on. I thought I was buying a high quality vehicle. I would never buy VW again.

I wouldn't recommed this vehicle...
By Dalia on 02/28/05 17:49 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible 2dr Convertible

Maybe it's because I bought it used, but overall this car has been a disaster. It has a clean title and I do a lot of upkeep and it still keeps making its way back into the shop...and repairs are EXPENSIVE. Parts are not cheap for this car at all. I have had numerous problems with oxygen sensors and with the cooling system. My latest woe was having to replace the timing belt and radiator. It's actually in the shop as I speak...and I made need the catalytic converter replaced....ouch....I'm now in the market for a new vehicle.

An often overlooked fun budget car
By Busbodger on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

We paid $5500 for our car. It needs tires and the front bumper and grille has stone wear on it, but we'll tackle it later. Fun to drive, plenty of room for 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 baby seats. Frugal and easy to maintain. A wonderful update to our 1984 Rabbit Convertible. I would recommend this convertible as it was easy to incorporate into our lives. Both fun and sensible and durable. My previous '84 Convertible had close to 200K miles when I sold it and I expect to see the same durability in this car. The steel encased trunk, added safety features (ABS, rollbar, airbags), cloth top, and leather interior are very nice updates! Contact me if have any quest

n/a
By Saxychik8 on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Highline 2dr Convertible

I love my Cabrio! It handles well, it's compact and great for gas. It's manual version has got to get-up-and-go power! Not much room for back seat passengers, but definately not the worst I've ever seen. The ultimate chick car. Powerful air conditioning, great sytle. My cabrio has 100,000 miles on it and it drives like new!