1997 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Fahrvegnugen, but....
By Osedax on 09/25/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

Bought it used. Super fun to drive, but will never buy a VW again. Parts are incredibly expensive! Taken to the same VW ind. service dude who's been in business servicing VW's for 30 years. HE says they are great to 50K miles, then dump them--they break and are too expensive to service (but that's been good for him he admits!). Sage advice. I keep my cars a long time, and thus will never buy a Cabrio (or any VW) again. Purchase at your peril.

Got in new, still luv it..
By Beth on 08/06/09 13:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

I bought it new in 1997. Still have it. other than tires, batterys and maintenance only made two repairs...new starter 5 years in, and new top 8 years in. I have had to glue the side trim back on with boat glue from home depot..dealer wanted $300 for that repair. Also, have glue on many places on the body..back cup holder, side trim inside by door, radio buttons. All electronics still work, engine still reliable, AC died at 10 years/100,000. Pretty good car though.

Do not recommend
By Cynthia on 09/27/05 01:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

From the day I drove it off the lot...lots of problems. I immediately had to replace the soft-top. Had an anti-freeze leak. The side panels have fallen off and glue will no longer keep them on! I have replaced the hubcaps so many times. The reflector light keeps falling off and I have to replace it for inspection. The driver's side interior door handle is busted. The rubber around the antenna and windows is dry-rotting. The exhaust system has rusted out and I have to replace it this week. The muffler is hanging off! I bought this car used, but come on. I thought I was buying a high quality vehicle. I would never buy VW again.

I wouldn't recommed this vehicle...
By Dalia on 02/28/05 17:49 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

Maybe it's because I bought it used, but overall this car has been a disaster. It has a clean title and I do a lot of upkeep and it still keeps making its way back into the shop...and repairs are EXPENSIVE. Parts are not cheap for this car at all. I have had numerous problems with oxygen sensors and with the cooling system. My latest woe was having to replace the timing belt and radiator. It's actually in the shop as I speak...and I made need the catalytic converter replaced....ouch....I'm now in the market for a new vehicle.

Excellent Car!!!
By lovevwcab on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

I love my car. It's been a low maintence vehicle and fun to drive.

fantastic car
By kchirich on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

i've not had one problem with this car. it's been fantasticly fun to drive and own. i have to agree about the cupholders though - they are pretty worthless. and i do miss the old side vent windows in the old cabriolet (former owner). as for fuel economy - i do great with the top up, but the nature of the beast is with the top down creates a real drag and, thus, really low mileage.

VW BEST
By Chad vw man on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

This is the best and the most wonderful driving experience I've ever had.

German passion for engineering excellenc
By Eduardo Belton on 12/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

Outstanding driving experience, great handling and confort. Good on gas and definitelly superb style.

And I used to be a big VW fan....
By Steve Gilbert on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

I've had nothing but problems with it. The car is now 5 years old, and has 43,000 miles on it. Problems so far have been: 1) The door moldings continuously fall off. VW will reattach new ones at about 70 dollars per, but you'll need it done every 6-8 months. 2) Cruise control failed. Had to have a new one installed. 3) Power Steering fluid reservoir had to be replaced. 4) Transmission linkage broke, had to be replaced. 5) Air conditioner failed completely, had to be replaced. 7) The driver's side seat fell apart, had to be replaced. There's more that I can't fit in this box.