Used 1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

97 Cabrio Highline
By greatfavad

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabrio new and recently turned over 100,000 miles.
The car has been terrific from the beginning and remains so.
Very exciting performance.
The only car I've owned that was more fun was a 1974 Alfa GTV Veloce.
During this time, the only problem I've experienced with it is an occasional malfunction of the cruise control.
That's it.
All other systems and controls have been perfect. Garage kept and routine maintenance and three tire changes in almost 15 years.
I'm planning to bring it to Florida as a second car after I get a new Eos for NY.
I'll change the shocks and some touch up body paint and I'll have a great vintage Florida convertible.

Driving performance.

None. Perfect for me.

just got it
By Mike

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline 2dr Convertible

Just got the Cabrio 97 convertable for the wife, at 125K miles, she loves it. I'm already doing work on it, and seen records of work from previous owner, which concerns me and the costs(online purchases are the way to go.) The side trims have come off, the cloth top is torn (heard the cloth is prone to that)..so got viynl online, which I heard takes awhile to install..10hours? For a 4 cylinder, it runs nice and tight. I'm getting around 30mpg, more than the 24 stated. I have to get used to the reverse being in the same spot as 1st. Nice seats, but have problems with the back seat folding down completely..would be better for a dog and storage. High dash with low front seats. Fun to drive!

convertible, mpg, heated seats, nice leather seats, 6cd changer in trunk, engine so far, cables on battery easy to take on and off..seems more room to work on engine than my Honda, glass rear window, economical with a German engine

cloth top better made? molding, Cabrio emblem not a cheap plastic, fold down flat back seat for more room?, stock cd stereo visual display more visible. Fuses for the radiator fan out of harms way..water in it when cleaning the engine, not so light leather seats for keeping clean look.

A Mess
By JK

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline 2dr Convertible

The car is fun to drive and looks great. BUT: problems problems problems! Outside door trim falling off (seems to be a trend with mid 90's vw's), window trim warped so rain leaks in, leak at driver's visor (cannot drive or park in rain or water drips on your leg), backseat floods when rains, coolant leak x 2, and, to top it all off: transmission failed at 115,000 miles. the parts store in my town knows my dad by name because of all the parts he picks up (luckily he's been able to do a lot of the work himself). oh yeah, let's not forget, the electrical went out at 89,000 miles. the car would not start if it rained and would stall out wherever you were if it started.

it's a fun car to drive - unique look, handles well for a small car

everything - when the dealer told me the tranny was shot even he said it wasn't worth it to replace in the car because of all the problems i've had and how often i've been in.

So good, I'm getting another one....
By jgoolia

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabrio a year and a half ago, and I've had a blast ever since. I loved the leather interior, the heated seats, CD player, AWESOME speakers...unfortunately I was hit by another driver and that car was totalled but I am currently looking for another Cabrio!!! I'm HOOKED!!

Smooth shifting, sound system, heated leather seats, convertible top, GREAT gas mileage....everything!

More pickup ( I love speed) keyless entry, and maybe 4 doors? I have passengers a lot.

An often overlooked fun budget car
By Busbodger

We paid $5500 for our car. It needs
tires and the front bumper and grille
has stone wear on it, but we'll tackle
it later. Fun to drive, plenty of room
for 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 baby
seats. Frugal and easy to maintain. A
wonderful update to our 1984 Rabbit
Convertible. I would recommend this
convertible as it was easy to
incorporate into our lives. Both fun and
sensible and durable. My previous '84
Convertible had close to 200K miles when
I sold it and I expect to see the same
durability in this car. The steel
encased trunk, added safety features
(ABS, rollbar, airbags), cloth top, and
leather interior are very nice updates!
Contact me if have any quest

Steel trunk cloth top eager engine and smooth shifter comfortable suspension excellent factory premium stereo COLD air conditioning comfortable interior with plenty of space

Keyless entry (found on later models) 6 speed transmission (later models) Rear disc brakes (later models) Little else!