Used 1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

97 Cabrio Highline
By greatfavad

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabrio new and recently turned over 100,000 miles. The car has been terrific from the beginning and remains so. Very exciting performance. The only car I've owned that was more fun was a 1974 Alfa GTV Veloce. During this time, the only problem I've experienced with it is an occasional malfunction of the cruise control. That's it. All other systems and controls have been perfect. Garage kept and routine maintenance and three tire changes in almost 15 years. I'm planning to bring it to Florida as a second car after I get a new Eos for NY. I'll change the shocks and some touch up body paint and I'll have a great vintage Florida convertible.

Favorite Features

Driving performance.

Suggested Improvements

None. Perfect for me.

Fahrvegnugen, but....
By Osedax

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

Bought it used. Super fun to drive, but will never buy a VW again. Parts are incredibly expensive! Taken to the same VW ind. service dude who's been in business servicing VW's for 30 years. HE says they are great to 50K miles, then dump them--they break and are too expensive to service (but that's been good for him he admits!). Sage advice. I keep my cars a long time, and thus will never buy a Cabrio (or any VW) again. Purchase at your peril.

Favorite Features

Sits you up high, and drives well.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the servicing costs.

Got in new, still luv it..
By Beth

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2dr Convertible

I bought it new in 1997. Still have it. other than tires, batterys and maintenance only made two repairs...new starter 5 years in, and new top 8 years in. I have had to glue the side trim back on with boat glue from home depot..dealer wanted $300 for that repair. Also, have glue on many places on the body..back cup holder, side trim inside by door, radio buttons. All electronics still work, engine still reliable, AC died at 10 years/100,000. Pretty good car though.

Favorite Features

convertible of course, electronic locks, windows, cup holders all over, well designed console, reliability of engine

Suggested Improvements

better quality body.

just got it
By Mike

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline 2dr Convertible

Just got the Cabrio 97 convertable for the wife, at 125K miles, she loves it. I'm already doing work on it, and seen records of work from previous owner, which concerns me and the costs(online purchases are the way to go.) The side trims have come off, the cloth top is torn (heard the cloth is prone to that)..so got viynl online, which I heard takes awhile to install..10hours? For a 4 cylinder, it runs nice and tight. I'm getting around 30mpg, more than the 24 stated. I have to get used to the reverse being in the same spot as 1st. Nice seats, but have problems with the back seat folding down completely..would be better for a dog and storage. High dash with low front seats. Fun to drive!

Favorite Features

convertible, mpg, heated seats, nice leather seats, 6cd changer in trunk, engine so far, cables on battery easy to take on and off..seems more room to work on engine than my Honda, glass rear window, economical with a German engine

Suggested Improvements

cloth top better made? molding, Cabrio emblem not a cheap plastic, fold down flat back seat for more room?, stock cd stereo visual display more visible. Fuses for the radiator fan out of harms way..water in it when cleaning the engine, not so light leather seats for keeping clean look.

A Mess
By JK

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Highline 2dr Convertible

The car is fun to drive and looks great. BUT: problems problems problems! Outside door trim falling off (seems to be a trend with mid 90's vw's), window trim warped so rain leaks in, leak at driver's visor (cannot drive or park in rain or water drips on your leg), backseat floods when rains, coolant leak x 2, and, to top it all off: transmission failed at 115,000 miles. the parts store in my town knows my dad by name because of all the parts he picks up (luckily he's been able to do a lot of the work himself). oh yeah, let's not forget, the electrical went out at 89,000 miles. the car would not start if it rained and would stall out wherever you were if it started.

Favorite Features

it's a fun car to drive - unique look, handles well for a small car

Suggested Improvements

everything - when the dealer told me the tranny was shot even he said it wasn't worth it to replace in the car because of all the problems i've had and how often i've been in.