2012 Volkswagen Beetle Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Beetle - Consumer Reviews

2012 Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

Love This Car - Hate The Damn Windows
By nola58

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I am a three time bug owner starting with a type 1 "66. The VW bug has been well built (generally) and I have liked the philosophy of the design through the decades. They were originally built for function and became iconic and fun in simplicity.

Favorite Features

This is my first car with bluetooth and I dig using it to play music through my phone. The base 2.5 could get better mileage, but it runs very, very smooth and I get the impression it will be durable through the years. I know VW and Audi have been using this powerplant for years.

Suggested Improvements

Please fix my crazy windows. Just like Herbie, the windows will reverse course and stop. I've brought it in twice. The service dept. has good guys who tried to replace the motors, but VW has yet to figure the problem and tell me they will try a new software update in a couple of weeks. If I had my choice, I would have preferred manual window cranks (even though they fell off the type 1 I could easily replace them)

Don't buy one.
By bob491

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Purchased a new 2012 Turbo Beetle 3 months ago. Although the car is a blast to drive, I have been experiencing problems with the drivers and passenger windows. They go down fine but stop and go when you close them. The car has been in three times so far for the same repair and I am doubtful that VW will ever be able to correct the problem. Since the dealership has been working on the problem, I now have wind noise and other issues with the windows that I did not have before. My intent is to force them to take the car back since the car and many others like it share the same problem.

Favorite Features

Not pleased enough with the car to give it any favorable points.

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling them until they can correct the window problems.

GREAT!
By buggin

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Very nice VW, handles well, plenty of room, plenty of horses, decent fuel, Fender stereo.....like no other, panoramic moonroof lets the sun in and no heat, very comfy for my 1:45 commute. Tons of trunk space. We have had Audi, Volvo, etc, this is our favorite.

Favorite Features

All of it!

Suggested Improvements

Can think of any

Great compromise Car
By htree11

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Had this car 5 days will update later. 105 miles with approximately 5 gals used. I have been using it as a commuter car 20 miles average per day. 1/2 interstate the other Blvd/city driving. There is a driver side window issue. will not come up all the way all the time. It will work afar several attempts. Plan to take it back to the Dealer. Dealer was asked about the problem prior to purchased. However vaguely acknowledged it existed. The only problem...Yes. The 2.5L is a blast to drive good exceleration, large cabin for two, equipment works fine. I have bluetooth (easy to setup), iPod connectivity (works without instructions) and the radio sounds great (no Fender).

Favorite Features

The drive is excellent coming from a wonderful 2004 1.8 Audi Cabriolet turbo convertible. It is really fun and a handsome commuter car. I also like the cabin because it has plenty of leg and head room for my 6'0 medium large frame. It's a Guy car....

Suggested Improvements

The window and door closure design could use some more work and design. I believe they are using a defective motor in the driver side window. It seals after shutting. future problems with this for sure. My car doesn't have an autoshut for the lights. manual only.

Black Turbo Launch
By 2012beetle

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Black Turbo Launch Edition PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

My 2012 Beetle is a blast to drive. It feels great in the curves and shoots out of them with a force. It very comfortable and the arrangment inside makes since and everything is handy for use. BIG PROBLEM - The drivers door automatic window does not function correctly. From day one it does not close all the way and takes 5-6 attempts to get it to go all the way up. It has been rained in two times already because of this. I took it to the dealer and they say there is no problem and if there is it's because of the window tint. I explained it has had a problem since day one and that there are numerous complaints across the internet regarding the same problem.

Favorite Features

Nice stereo, mutli-color lights are cool.

Suggested Improvements

The dealer says VW would of put something out regarding this if there was a problem and to remove the tint to see if it goes away. I explained again that it has malfunctioned since day one and there are numerous complaints around the internet. He again told me VW would have put something out. VW PUT SOMETHING OUT SO US 2012 BEETLE OWNERS CAN GET OUR WINDOWS FIXED! Also, had a lighted speaker ring go out and the back hatch was making a loud noise with every little bump, the dealer addressed these. The outside gas door appears loose to the touch.