Used 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Beetle - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Beetle

View reviews for a specific Beetle model:

Power Windows need Prozac!!
By vetteviper

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car 1 week and noticed the windows have a mind of their own in terms of rolling up. It stops halfway up and then lowers to where you see about an inch of the glass and after several attempts, we get it back up. At one time it was all the way down and would do nothing when we pulled up on switch, just sat there. Both windows behave this way. I will be calling my dealership in the morning but almost afraid of what they tell me after reading about all the problems with out any solutions that worked.

Favorite Features

Nice layout, stereo, leg room. Very easy to shift gears.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely the windows and an armrest/console between driver and passenger would be nice!!

7 months and window still not fixed
By anubis2012

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought myself a new 2012 VW Beetle for Christmas on Christmas Eve 2011. Since day one the driver window will not function properly and close. Most times it starts up the reverses and goes back down even when you hold the button in the up position. 7 months later even today I was told VW is researching the problem with no fix yet. I just took a 2+ week trip to remote areas of CA, UT and NV. It was very annoying not to have functioning windows.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, Looks and constant compliments.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the window problems. It's not fair to charge me $388 a month on a lease for a non functional vehicle and tell me to judonnie use the windows for 7 months!

Loaded Beetle w sun sound nav
By chowchow

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Like the first generation CCs- this car was not designed to resemble a bar of soap and so the design immediately captured my interest and that of wife and well the interior was as nice as our CC and it had a hatch like our old SAAB and a turbo as well so out went the SAAB 2.0 4 cylinder turbo and in went the premium feeling VW Beetle - some would say 28K for the care was a lot loaded - but my 1999 SAAB 9-3 was 27K and was argubaly a much less refined ride with an interior and sound system that did not compare. The Fender sound system in the Beetle really rocks - wish I had it the 2012 R Line CC. The seats in the Beetle are very upright like chairs and very comfortable like those in SAABs.

Favorite Features

Design - inside and out - leather seats and Fender sound system

Suggested Improvements

Sport suspension on all turbos - fix the window sensor issue which causes the windows to go and up down

I Like the Car, Just Did not Like the Experience I had with the Dealership and VW Customer Care
By nola17

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Purchsd vehcl in Feb & it has ben @ the dlrship 1/2 the time I have owned it. After signing the papers, noticed vehcl had 2 dents on door that had to be repaired. After getting it back, had prblm w/the defective window. Had to bring back 3X for this problm. Was tld vehcl wasn't on recall, but continuously had window prblms. Noticed also that the paint was peeling around the bumpers. Dlrshp told me car paint was wrapped, but sent vehcl to their body shop 2 paint ??? Car has ben back 3X for correction. There now. Have been fighting with VW Customer Care and Dealership just for some type of reimbursement for all of the headache and possible diminish of trade-in valve.

Favorite Features

Thought this was a great car for my daughter's 17th birthday. She cried after all of the problems and since she has been without it for so long.

Suggested Improvements

Tried to get VW dealership and Customer Care to make this right, but have been unsuccessful. They reimbursed me for the window, but nothing else. I feel like they sold me a car with defects and I paid the requested price. Just want them to make this right. When you buy a new car (not demo, etc.), you do not expect to have all of these problems. Considering trading it because I don't want the hassel with the Service Department or any other unknown problems. We are currently in their loaner.

"German Engineering" If thats the case, i want American Engineering back
By texasbulldog

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Had it 3 weeks now. 4 miles after we "owned it" the windows failed and they don't go back up. They want over $400 for an Armrest. It only comes with the Moon-roof/"Leatherette" (vinyl) option. It Rattles and has HORRIBLE turbo lag and to top it off, real life mileage isn't that good. I wish we didn't buy it but my wife fell in love with the style. VW's solution right now for the window is to either not roll it down to tape it up because they don't have a fix for it. The Boost Gauge doesn't read like a traditional gauge and basically lying to the driver. The Electronic Steering really fights you if you turn sharp and the brakes are really mushy. German Engineering made in Mexico.

Favorite Features

Appearance is a great improvement over the previous style and thankfully they ditched the "Flower Vase. The "Standard" interior is pretty nice and IMO better quality than their fake "Letherette". It has OK speed for being a Turbo and would probably be fun and peppy for the housewife buying one but far from what a 2.0 Turbo is capable of.

Suggested Improvements

Issue a Recall to fix the windows! If you look online its affecting almost every new beetle out there and has been a problem since the re-introduction 10+ years ago. They need to step up and admit fault and get on the ball to fix this. A new car should not rattle and be as loose as this already is. I also feel they should issue an Armrest to the 2012 owners since they are coming standard in 2013 so they know they screwed up. The design gives you quite a few blind spots and the Rear view mirror should be at least 25% larger and the side mirror's are small as well but i suspect that was for airflow/fuel consumption