Used 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Beetle model:

Great so far, but for the windows
By charmcity22

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just bought the 2012 Beetle on Saturday. Got a good price, and loved the style and feel of the car over the Golf I was originally thinking about getting. Like most of the others, I have the window issue where it is a pain to get them back up. At first I thought it was some kind of special feature I couldn't figure out, but after poking around a bit it seems I'm in good company. Hopefully, with enough pressure they will speed up a fix.

The windows.

Power Windows need Prozac!!
By vetteviper

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car 1 week and noticed the windows have a mind of their own in terms of rolling up. It stops halfway up and then lowers to where you see about an inch of the glass and after several attempts, we get it back up. At one time it was all the way down and would do nothing when we pulled up on switch, just sat there. Both windows behave this way. I will be calling my dealership in the morning but almost afraid of what they tell me after reading about all the problems with out any solutions that worked.

Nice layout, stereo, leg room. Very easy to shift gears.

Definitely the windows and an armrest/console between driver and passenger would be nice!!

7 months and window still not fixed
By anubis2012

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought myself a new 2012 VW Beetle for Christmas on Christmas Eve 2011. Since day one the driver window will not function properly and close. Most times it starts up the reverses and goes back down even when you hold the button in the up position. 7 months later even today I was told VW is researching the problem with no fix yet. I just took a 2+ week trip to remote areas of CA, UT and NV. It was very annoying not to have functioning windows.

Nice styling, Looks and constant compliments.

Fix the window problems. It's not fair to charge me $388 a month on a lease for a non functional vehicle and tell me to judonnie use the windows for 7 months!

Loaded Beetle w sun sound nav
By chowchow

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Like the first generation CCs- this car was not designed to resemble a bar of soap and so the design immediately captured my interest and that of wife and well the interior was as nice as our CC and it had a hatch like our old SAAB and a turbo as well so out went the SAAB 2.0 4 cylinder turbo and in went the premium feeling VW Beetle - some would say 28K for the care was a lot loaded - but my 1999 SAAB 9-3 was 27K and was argubaly a much less refined ride with an interior and sound system that did not compare. The Fender sound system in the Beetle really rocks - wish I had it the 2012 R Line CC. The seats in the Beetle are very upright like chairs and very comfortable like those in SAABs.

Design - inside and out - leather seats and Fender sound system

Sport suspension on all turbos - fix the window sensor issue which causes the windows to go and up down

I Like the Car, Just Did not Like the Experience I had with the Dealership and VW Customer Care
By nola17

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Purchsd vehcl in Feb & it has ben @ the dlrship 1/2 the time I have owned it. After signing the papers, noticed vehcl had 2 dents on door that had to be repaired. After getting it back, had prblm w/the defective window. Had to bring back 3X for this problm. Was tld vehcl wasn't on recall, but continuously had window prblms. Noticed also that the paint was peeling around the bumpers. Dlrshp told me car paint was wrapped, but sent vehcl to their body shop 2 paint ??? Car has ben back 3X for correction. There now. Have been fighting with VW Customer Care and Dealership just for some type of reimbursement for all of the headache and possible diminish of trade-in valve.

Thought this was a great car for my daughter's 17th birthday. She cried after all of the problems and since she has been without it for so long.

Tried to get VW dealership and Customer Care to make this right, but have been unsuccessful. They reimbursed me for the window, but nothing else. I feel like they sold me a car with defects and I paid the requested price. Just want them to make this right. When you buy a new car (not demo, etc.), you do not expect to have all of these problems. Considering trading it because I don't want the hassel with the Service Department or any other unknown problems. We are currently in their loaner.