Used 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Beetle model:

DON'T BUY THIS CAR!
By M.Wise

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While up until a few days ago I would have said I loved my car, that has completely changed. I have been plagued with issues with misfires for 2 years. First an ignition coil, then another ignition coil, then a fouled spark plug (they have just been replaced with the 1st ignition coil), followed by a purge valve. Now the engine that has been properly maintained per manufacturers recommendations has suffered a catastrophic failure at just over 100k miles. $5k-$7k to replace the engine and possibly the turbo. No assistance for VW whatsoever. This was my 1st VW, and will be the last. Stay away from VW, they obviously don't build a reliable car!!

Unbulllllyvable !!!
By Labbaga

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.0T Turbo PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Today I was so close to tears with my Red VW Turbo Beetle. I had all the problems stated from the reviews below... from the windows having a mind of their own the moment I got them from the dealership... up to injection fuel pump issues and being stuck only to have the same problem all over again in a week, after it's supposed to have been fixed... and some loose screw coming out of nowhere under the hood... Too many problems, if you ask me, from a supposedly brand new car. CRY !!! It's almost like being bullied by all these issues...by my own car. I head to leave my car in the dealership for a whole month (or more)... and this was with the car being less than 3 years. Also, my car has this odd stink coming from the vent... could it be me ? I dare not admit. Even the media jack inside the glove compartment had issues right from the beginning. This is my second VW Beetle and I am switching to another brand. The only thing that I enjoyed was the Fender sound system...

Just junk.
By Rachel Tolar-Nixon

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car has had many problems. Windows have mind of there own.You want them up the car wants them down. Had to go back to dealer many times to get if fixed. The a/c does not blow cool just cool. Dealer never fixed call VW and of course no help there. Guess VW just can't build a car with good a/c. Speakers and the tray in the hatch had to be replaced after they fell apart. The foam in the seats has been falling out since the car was new. We told them under warranty but of course you guessed it never replaced and again no help from the manufacturer. If you take the back seat out you can see where the floor of the car has burned the foam in the back seat. The car now needs a fuel pump at 800

Don't buy one they are absolute junk.

"FUN"
By jmf80

Bought a used Beetle turbo with 1800 miles on it, couldn't believe I got for the price I paid. I have 3 73 Super Beetles and a 68 Beetle, and also had a 98 New Beetle. This 2012 is what it should be 40 years later. Had a Passat and missed the 2.0 Turbo and the way the seats fit me. This beetle is the same could drive for hours without fatigue. The gas miles are 32 to 34 MPG highway so far with just about 3400 miles. The Nav, Roof, push button start, leather, and Fender Stereo are awesome. The lighting at night is too cool. The kind of car you drive around the block just one more time before you want to park it. Led Zeppelin on the fender is well words can't explain it.

All of them

None

VW Knew about the Window problems
By bink11

2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

VW knew about the window problems, because the Convertible Bug had been plagued with them the entire run of the line. I traded in my 2004 Convertible Beetle for the new one because it seemed like the only way to fix the window problem once and for all. Now, here I am day one and I don't have my new car because it is back at the Dealership being "fixed". I'm lucky apparently because the Dealership I use has a great staff who really do their best to solve problems, but when the problem is the manufacturer... All I can say is avoid VW's. If anyone stops to ask me about the car, it isn't going to go well for the company.

I get to visit the Dealership very often, and I get to drive loads of loaners.

Fix the windows. It seems pretty easy to do, just accept that you will have to spend more than $2.75 for some better quality parts in the door.

• SUV