2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Beetle model:
"FUN"
By jmf80 on 06/07/13 20:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.0T Turbo PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought a used Beetle turbo with 1800 miles on it, couldn't believe I got for the price I paid. I have 3 73 Super Beetles and a 68 Beetle, and also had a 98 New Beetle. This 2012 is what it should be 40 years later. Had a Passat and missed the 2.0 Turbo and the way the seats fit me. This beetle is the same could drive for hours without fatigue. The gas miles are 32 to 34 MPG highway so far with just about 3400 miles. The Nav, Roof, push button start, leather, and Fender Stereo are awesome. The lighting at night is too cool. The kind of car you drive around the block just one more time before you want to park it. Led Zeppelin on the fender is well words can't explain it.

VW Knew about the Window problems
By bink11 on 08/14/12 00:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

VW knew about the window problems, because the Convertible Bug had been plagued with them the entire run of the line. I traded in my 2004 Convertible Beetle for the new one because it seemed like the only way to fix the window problem once and for all. Now, here I am day one and I don't have my new car because it is back at the Dealership being "fixed". I'm lucky apparently because the Dealership I use has a great staff who really do their best to solve problems, but when the problem is the manufacturer... All I can say is avoid VW's. If anyone stops to ask me about the car, it isn't going to go well for the company.

Exploding Glass!!
By jeffjj7 on 08/10/12 15:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've had our new VW Bug for about 8 weeks. Made one payment on it. Wish we knew about the window issue prior to purchase! 2 weeks ago traveling at 50mph the driver side window literally EXPLODED... yes I said exploded... sounded like a collision. Called the police as I thought someone may have thrown something that hit the window. Not so. Took to dealer where they prepared to fix the prob only to find that they called people in from Detroit Corperate to have a look see... the next day! Picture and all in hand the fix procedure was on only to find out the glass was backordered. Couple this with rude no-customer service and no reselution my next stop is the AG in the great stae of GA.

Great so far, but for the windows
By charmcity22 on 07/25/12 12:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just bought the 2012 Beetle on Saturday. Got a good price, and loved the style and feel of the car over the Golf I was originally thinking about getting. Like most of the others, I have the window issue where it is a pain to get them back up. At first I thought it was some kind of special feature I couldn't figure out, but after poking around a bit it seems I'm in good company. Hopefully, with enough pressure they will speed up a fix.

Power Windows need Prozac!!
By vetteviper on 07/24/12 20:16 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.0T Turbo PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car 1 week and noticed the windows have a mind of their own in terms of rolling up. It stops halfway up and then lowers to where you see about an inch of the glass and after several attempts, we get it back up. At one time it was all the way down and would do nothing when we pulled up on switch, just sat there. Both windows behave this way. I will be calling my dealership in the morning but almost afraid of what they tell me after reading about all the problems with out any solutions that worked.

7 months and window still not fixed
By anubis2012 on 07/19/12 05:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought myself a new 2012 VW Beetle for Christmas on Christmas Eve 2011. Since day one the driver window will not function properly and close. Most times it starts up the reverses and goes back down even when you hold the button in the up position. 7 months later even today I was told VW is researching the problem with no fix yet. I just took a 2+ week trip to remote areas of CA, UT and NV. It was very annoying not to have functioning windows.

Loaded Beetle w sun sound nav
By chowchow on 07/16/12 22:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Sound, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Like the first generation CCs- this car was not designed to resemble a bar of soap and so the design immediately captured my interest and that of wife and well the interior was as nice as our CC and it had a hatch like our old SAAB and a turbo as well so out went the SAAB 2.0 4 cylinder turbo and in went the premium feeling VW Beetle - some would say 28K for the care was a lot loaded - but my 1999 SAAB 9-3 was 27K and was argubaly a much less refined ride with an interior and sound system that did not compare. The Fender sound system in the Beetle really rocks - wish I had it the 2012 R Line CC. The seats in the Beetle are very upright like chairs and very comfortable like those in SAABs.

I Like the Car, Just Did not Like the Experience I had with the Dealership and VW Customer Care
By nola17 on 07/16/12 15:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Purchsd vehcl in Feb & it has ben @ the dlrship 1/2 the time I have owned it. After signing the papers, noticed vehcl had 2 dents on door that had to be repaired. After getting it back, had prblm w/the defective window. Had to bring back 3X for this problm. Was tld vehcl wasn't on recall, but continuously had window prblms. Noticed also that the paint was peeling around the bumpers. Dlrshp told me car paint was wrapped, but sent vehcl to their body shop 2 paint ??? Car has ben back 3X for correction. There now. Have been fighting with VW Customer Care and Dealership just for some type of reimbursement for all of the headache and possible diminish of trade-in valve.

"German Engineering" If thats the case, i want American Engineering back
By texasbulldog on 07/13/12 18:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2.0T Turbo 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Had it 3 weeks now. 4 miles after we "owned it" the windows failed and they don't go back up. They want over $400 for an Armrest. It only comes with the Moon-roof/"Leatherette" (vinyl) option. It Rattles and has HORRIBLE turbo lag and to top it off, real life mileage isn't that good. I wish we didn't buy it but my wife fell in love with the style. VW's solution right now for the window is to either not roll it down to tape it up because they don't have a fix for it. The Boost Gauge doesn't read like a traditional gauge and basically lying to the driver. The Electronic Steering really fights you if you turn sharp and the brakes are really mushy. German Engineering made in Mexico.

Love This Car - Hate The Damn Windows
By nola58 on 06/16/12 07:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I am a three time bug owner starting with a type 1 "66. The VW bug has been well built (generally) and I have liked the philosophy of the design through the decades. They were originally built for function and became iconic and fun in simplicity.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback in VA is:

$140 per month*