Used 2013 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Beetle Convertible model:

Cute car, but not the best quality
By d_vegas

2013 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible 2.5L 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought my VW Convertible new and have owned it a year now. Have had multiple window issues (motors and seals) and also a tire issue (one bad tire). VW needs to install better quality parts that do not break as easily, because going back and forth with the dealer is not only time consuming, but also frustrating for everyone involved. My car originally had Continental tires, which were so so, but one tire was bad and took a while to diagnose through a road force balance. The faulty tire was subsequently replaced, but I recently decided to just buy Michelin's and not have to worry about anymore future problems. Now after multiple balancing and alignments, it drives much better.

The car is very cute; I get lots of compliments. It is so fun to drive on regular surface roads. The freeway here is kind of bumpy, and since the car is so low, it isn't the most comfortable freeway ride. The interior colors and lights match the outside color of the car and makes it feel custom. The bluetooth on the radio is great; I hookup Pandora through my phone and listen to that often. The bluetooth also has a hands free cell phone feature, so when I get a call, it comes in over the radio and I just press the phone button to begin and end the call. Convertible top opens and closes smoothly; fairly quiet interior. Ok trunk and backseat for storage. Metal protective plate underneath.

Better tires; Continentals do not ride smoothly. Actual leather seats; leatherette is the standard (which is more like vinyl). Seat tilting would be nice. Better quality window motors and seals. Armrest in the base model. The interior finishes scratch easily, and could be made more substantially. Hubcaps are cheap; should be allow wheels.

wife's beetle
By derekleeo

2013 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible TDI 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My wife always wanted a convertible and this was the perfect choice. I convinced her to drive the tdi and she loves it. We do a lot of mixed driving, from sitting in line to pick up the kids(a lot of idle time) to highway trips @ 75mph. I track the mileage on fuelly, and after 6 months and just under 5500 miles, the average is 31.3. I do trips @ 55mph with the cruise set and it's over 50mpg. This thing can move, too. It has a lot of low end torque. The only problem we've had is squeeky brakes. If you are moving slow and ease into the brakes(stop and go) they squeak. VW won't fix it, saying it's normal. No it's not, so we have a battle I guess.

Mpg, torque, and the look. My wife comes home every other day saying "someone told me they love my car again." The tail end looks like a porche. I have a 2014 Silverado and love taking her car places. I like this car more every time I drive it. The car just has a good, solid, tight feel to it.

Auto headlights rear camera. sounds funny on a small car, but with top up, has poor visibility and a tiny mirror. Brakes that don't squeak and customer service reps that don't look you in the eye and tell you brakes are supposed to squeak.

A nice but poorly built car
By matt8266

Bought my 2013, TDI ragtop in April and it is a hoot to drive. The problem is, the service department has it more than I do. Wind noise from top, door dent by dealer, interior lighting issue, passenger window regulator issue, driver's door pinch point issue that required an external body shop to remove and reinstall the door! ~ 5 or 6 trips to service with now over 30 days. I'm contacting a lemon law attorney as it is only 6 months and 7K miles old. While it is fun to drive, the fit and window, seals and electronic controls for same are 3rd. world. Read and study before you buy. Volkswagen not helping me at all while the dealer has done his best.

The interior design is outstanding. Handling outstanding. I highly recommend the TDI engine if it was in someone else's chassis.

Drive and test sometime after you build it VW. Window issues for years? ... Wind noise in all convertibles ( per my dealer ) that sounds like a truck? ... Do your DD and fix problems the first time and well. Also, when your customers get a super-lemon, don't attempt to blow them off. Accept your responsibility as a supposed world class manufacturer.

Wow! Great convertible! I'm glad I took a test drive!
By minivandad1973

2013 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible w/Sound (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I had no expectations going into the VW dealership. After driving a Mini Cooper S convertible for seven years I didn't think I would be impressed with the new Turbo Beetle convertible. Wow! I was surprised... Great acceleration, incredible comfort for four adults and superb sound was what I needed to move me out of my Mini into a car that could comfortably accommodate my family. My day starts with a big smile getting into my car. Having driven many different convertibles I can say their are none at this price point that offer the level of performance and space found in the new Turbo Beetle. My entire family loves this car!

The upgraded Fender audio system is amazing!!! With the top down and radio playing l smile all the way to and from work! The top goes up and down very fast. I am very impressed how quiet the cabin is when the top is up. This VW Turbo Beetle is an impressive ride!

I have two wishes: 1. Rear radar backup warning and/or backup camera. It can be a little challenging backing up if you are accustomed to this technology. 2. Upgraded electronic / digital climate control.... I like seeing the temperature... however, there is nothing wrong with the current system... just a preference....