20K service miles review
By girlcarbuilder on
2011 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)
We usually buy 3 dr hatchbacks and use as two seaters with a lot of storage/cargo room. Even with the back seats down this model compared to older hatchback designs like the 89 Mazda 323 or the 86 Toyota Tercel lacks such in room. On the other hand, the driveline punchs quite a punch in power compared to the older models. We have pushed up the gas mileage to 40 mpg so far by reverting back to 14 inch rims with 175/70r14's by toyo. The OEM bridgestones drifted too much, but the toyo's glued it to the road and bumped the gas another 3mpg's! Make sure you install an air filter in the a/c system. For some reason the car does not come with one from the factory. We also added body side molding.
Favorite Features
The number one reason we bought Toyota.....20K miles, no problem! Just oil changes and a nail in a tire! I fix my own, but hate to work on them! Front bumper cover is inexpensive in the aftermarket! Love the maintenance reminder light....change the oil dear! Follow my reports on this car in the forums, handle is girlcarbuilder.
Suggested Improvements
Strongly recommend Body side molding for impact protection. Bit tricky to install on this body design, but I did it! Flat fitting folding rear seats that sit flat when lowered. Rear head rests block and add to blind spots. I remove them when no passegers are back there. The tire Pressure Monitoring system is too expensive for someone who checks their tires! I refuse to maintain it! All season floor mats that hold water from getting onto floor causing mold smell. All of these headaches have been resolved with aftermarket equipment except the rear seat problem.