I hate my Yaris
By lilliann on
2010 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)
It is the most boring car I have ever driven and I have driven many cars. I traded a 2007 Mini Cooper for this dreadful vehicle. It's a huge effort to pass a car in front of me - it doesn't want to; its automatic transmission shifts first up, then down, then up again around 30 miles per hour on an un-level street; it has terrifying brakes that lock up; it won't track over 60 miles per hour (constantly fighting the steering wheel to keep the car in a straight line - very tiring); no comfortable place for my feet. I absolutely hate everything about it, except for the gas mileage - and yes, that's very good. I recommend new car buyers to steer clear of this one. Get a Mini Cooper instead.
Favorite Features
Gas mileage
Suggested Improvements
Everything.
By marysagolden
on 07/28/11 13:52 PM (PDT)

I have to admit, I hate my Yaris too. Mine is 2007. It has great gas mileage but everything else STINKS. It's my fourth toyota and the only one I have ever truly hated - and have regreted. So much is wrong with this piece of junk, from the cheapo plastic interior, the fabric (which inexplicably has a green stripe on the seat that is now fraying), to the side view mirror which popped off. It KILLS my back to drive it for more than 30 minutes. It has the worst pick-up. Sometimes I feel like Fred Flintstone - I can feel my butt dragging along the highway. It's like a tin can on wheels. I feel like an idiot for buying it. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!? I can't wait to pay it off so I can get something else.

By honestman
on 02/11/12 20:40 PM (PST)

I own 2 Yaris H.B. man. trans. an 09 & 10. I can understand the postings above but if they try making some changes I believe they will love their Yaris. First, look at the cold Max. pressure on the side of your tires. If it says the cold max. pressure is 44 p.s.i. then put 40 p.s.i. in your tires, if it says 51 p.s.i put 46.5 p.s.i. & if it says 35 p.s.i. put 32 p.s.i.. I believe the correct air pressure is 91.4% of the tires cold max. air pressure. Also, make sure your tires are in good condition. With my 2 Yaris's my handling was greatly improved with no squirreling from side to side in the road, as at 32 p.s.i., mpg went up 3-4 mpg, the tires lasted 65,000 miles and were even better in the snow and ice. Next use original air filter from toyota. I have used K&N 50,000 mile filter, STP and Fram all decreased my mpg. The price difference from a regular air filter is only a few dollars. Why? I believe the car's computer has a calibrated air flow that messes up fuel and air mixture. I also use full syn. oil Amsoil 5W30 motor oil only and full syn. Amsoil 75W90 man. trans. gear oil. I also have plugged in to my O.B.D. port an econo meter that gives readings of instant mpg and average mpg. This gauge teaches you how to drive to gain greater mpg. Cost around $69. Both my Yaris's are fun to drive with tight steering. Tight steering with no play in the wheel can be dangerous if you take your eyes off the road. But it takes little effort to go where you want your car to go in the road and stay there. If you ask your tire shop they will tell you to follow the air pressure listed on the door jam. Which is 32 p.s.i.. If I did that I would hate my Yaris's too and my tires would be ready for new ones at 25,000 miles. I also would not get 43-51 mpg !!!