A smart choice.
By mkyaris10 on
2010 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)
I expected a simple get-around-town ho hum experience. I have been pleasantly surprised. The Yaris won't win any drag races, but the versatility of the interior cubbies along with the great seats and good ride quality will make up for it. The gas mileage has been good, 30-36 mpg. My lowest was 28.5 mpg on an all city driving week. I'd recommend the 5 dr, and go ahead and load it up with all the power options. You won't save that much by leaving them off, and they're worth it. Edmunds exaggerates the manual vs auto transmission. The auto is fine. The gates are good, and the shifts are smooth. You can't beat the Yaris. Just go test drive one.
Favorite Features
The driver side glove box, center mounted gauge cluster, bright headlights, comfortable seats, light in the cargo area, and most of all the great mpg.
Suggested Improvements
Gas gauge needs a better low level indicator. The flashing gray lcd isn't enough of an eye catcher. When you only get gas once every week or two, you need that reminder. Center armrest should be standard. Traction control needs a manual off switch.