Used 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Good, cheap fun
By Steve

2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Yaris strictly as a commuter car, for a 100 mile a day round trip commute, on the basis of the fuel economy and the expectation that I wouldn't feel bad about putting so many miles on a cheap car. As it turns out, it's actually fun to drive. With the five speed manual, this light car gives all of the acceleration I need in town and on the freeway. I'm also impressed with the "feel" of the materials. The doors close with that "thud" that you expect from a luxury sedan, rather than flimsy feel of a traditional subcompact. With its smooth ride, I have difficulty keeping my speed down on the freeway. After getting my first ticket in 20 years, I installed aftermarket cruise control

Favorite Features

The fuel economy and low price

Suggested Improvements

A six speed manual would probably provide better highway fuel mileage. At 80 miles an hour, the RPM run at about 3500. The seats could be better designed and more adjustable.

Better than expected
By MS

2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2010 5 door Yaris for the gas mileage alone given my commute, but found the car to be enjoyable overall. I can get all 3 of my kids in the back if I need too. The manual is bright and easy to shift, power even at 1500 rpm, so I'm in 5th unless I am stopped or on steep hill. Nice stereo, with Ipod jack, "plasticy" interior but expected. zippy and I can park anywhere. If you're ready to save money and the environment get one. FYI Toyota does not make one without the power package so add 1k + to the price, I paid $14,200.

Favorite Features

MPG, Ipod jack, MPG, price, MPG, glove boxes everywhere. The center mount speedo is no big deal, it's most obvious at night.

Suggested Improvements

if it would calculate it's mpg's that would be great, too busy to do the math manually. I really did not want to know I was getting 22 mpg in my volvo, but how much over 40 mpg would be a fun activity.

Great Second Car
By D.B. Ginther

2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Yaris for a year. It's a great second car with all the features necessary to get around town.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

2010 Yaris
By Heather D

2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second Yaris I've owned. I had a 2008 that I bought in 2007. I wouldn't have bought another one if I didn't think they were good cars. My only complaint would be the cheapness of the interior and the paint job. Both of which failed me on my 2008. The gas mileage is a dream. I took my 08 Yaris from SC to MA last year and only spent $160 RT. Amazing!

Favorite Features

I like the center gages. While most think this is a bother I actually like it b/c I can concentrate more on the road and see more in front of me. I also love the look of the Yaris and the fact that the back seats (in the hatchback) fold down and move up in the 2010.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior is need guys and a better paint job. DON'T take your Yaris through the power sprayers at the car wash, this ruined my back bumper!

Excellent car that is underestimated
By cdig

2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I feel like I'm driving a much larger car than it is. It feels solid and smooth. It handles more like a sedan than a hatchback. I don't feel like I'm driving a tiny plastic toy like the Honda Fit that my wife drives. It has good acceleration for passing on the highway, but not as sporty as a Honda Fit. Stability is excellent on slick pavement. There is very little engine noise while cruising on the highway. The acceleration is smooth and quiet without any jerky gearing.

Favorite Features

The transmission is really smooth. There is absolutely no jerky behavior when changing gears. The driver has a lot of leg room. The controls are easy to understand without a manual. I like the unique exterior look. The stabilization system is a plus in winter weather. I feel safe in this car.

Suggested Improvements

The back seats should fold up as well as down, like in the Nissan Versa or Honda Fit. The cruise control could be a bit more responsive when adjusting speed.