The real smart car
By Havana on
2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)
This is a smart car to own. Relatively inexpensive to buy (unlike Prius), cheap to operate & maintain, and high resale value. Whenever I see the car from the outside, I think it's so small but inside, there's so much room for both front seat passengers. My wife didn't even want to look at one. After a test drive, she liked it more than the Fit or Versa. After 4 weeks and 1500 miles, I'm averaging 37 mpg, that includes some 80+mph freeway driving and steep mountain driving. The power is very adequate. The quality and resale are better than a Versa. The price was significantly lower than a Fit. The Korean makes are in this price range but aren't even in this league when it comes to resale.
Favorite Features
Unique, clean interior with lots of storage compartments, I like the gauge location and love the driver's side glove box, ABS and 6 air bags now standard on 2009 models
Suggested Improvements
No tach? Every model should have a tach!!! The 5 door isn't available in the US with a manual transmission. This almost cost Toyota a sale. We loved the car so much that we compromised and bought the 3 door.