Good for cheap transportation
By John Drake on
2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)
My 2003 Hyundai Accent 4dr got totaled in a rear end collision so I got a Yaris because it was the cheapest new car I could find. It's not a hot rod, but has good acceleration for around town and getting on the highway when I need to. It's roomier than it looks and at least for me, more comfortable than the Hyundai, and it feels more solid. Driving in daily stop and go traffic, I'm getting 32mpg. The solid feel of the car combined with front and side airbags make me feel safe on the road in it. Handling is good and the car is a pleasure to drive. I hope the stories I've heard about Toyota reliability are true, because I want to keep this car for a long time.
Favorite Features
Numerous cup holders and storage compartments, great MPG, not expensive to buy new, solid feel, roomy for a small car, Toyota's reputation for reliability and holding resale value.
Suggested Improvements
The center mounted instrument panel takes some getting used to. A tachometer would be nice standard with the 5spd, makes knowing when to clutch/shift easier. Not much trunk space without putting the rear seat down.