2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
Excellent choice
By Blaze on 02/07/09 16:31 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, both inside and out. I am getting 35 mpg on average and I think this number will go up after the winter is over. This car has everything I need and is a great commuter vehicle. It is roomy inside, I had two snowboards and some other equipment in the back with the back seats folded down and another person on the passenger side, no problem at all.

The best car out there!
By cad on 02/04/09 05:33 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a vehicle that was great on gas mileage, reliability and safety. After two + years of test driving and research, I settled on the Toyota Yaris 4 door lift back. I have no regrets over my choice. This car is fantastic! Lots of fun to drive and peppy to boot. It won't win any drag races, but the handling is fantastic. Tight turns, gets up to speed on the highway and is very stable even on windy days. Performed admirably in recent ice storm. I commute on a heavily trafficked highway with lots of construction vehicles and not once have I felt overwhelmed in this car. My gas mileage averages 38mpg with 70% highway, 30% city with conservative driving (no speeding).

Only Small on the Outside
By Sean Kecskes on 02/02/09 13:38 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Yaris for six months now and I still love it. I get over 40 mpg on the highway and mid to high 30s in the city. It doesn't accelerate fast but that isn't what I wanted. This car the best you can get without going hybrid. I got it on a lease but if it lives up to Toyota standards I'll probably buy it out at the end.

The real smart car
By Havana on 01/20/09 10:39 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a smart car to own. Relatively inexpensive to buy (unlike Prius), cheap to operate & maintain, and high resale value. Whenever I see the car from the outside, I think it's so small but inside, there's so much room for both front seat passengers. My wife didn't even want to look at one. After a test drive, she liked it more than the Fit or Versa. After 4 weeks and 1500 miles, I'm averaging 37 mpg, that includes some 80+mph freeway driving and steep mountain driving. The power is very adequate. The quality and resale are better than a Versa. The price was significantly lower than a Fit. The Korean makes are in this price range but aren't even in this league when it comes to resale.

Finally got one with a cruise control
By daf62757 on 01/20/09 09:28 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter bought a 2007 Yaris and I fell in love with her car. I would have bought one much earlier, but they didn't come with a cruise control. Finally, the liftback came with a cruise control and I bought one. The ride is great. I drive from Indy to Chicago every week and have gotten 34 MPG in mixed driving. This is a fun car to drive and has a really smooth ride. It isn't a Lexus so you have some tradeoff, but overall, great value for the money and since it is a Toyota, I know it will last a long, long time!

09 Yaris review
By Hoody on 01/10/09 16:04 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Picked this little thing up on a Sat night Dec 27th after testing it a couple days. I found it to be fun to drive and has a peepy little 1.5, it did 70 on the interstate with no sweat. I bought it mainly for the wife for a local run about, replacing the 92 Chrysler T&C which was getting to be a pain. I like pretty much everything about it right now, it has all the stuff it needs.

Amazing on icy roads
By BIll McCabe on 01/07/09 20:42 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've always driven big cars like caddys, Lincolns, and even a 24 Lincoln stretch. The vehicle I turned in off lease to buy my Yaris was a 2005 Saturn Vue with a 3.0 6cyl and all the bells and whistles. I bought a baseline 2009 Yaris and was skeptical as to how well it would handle the roads and weather where I live. Today we had ice everywhere. In weather like this my Vue was useless but the Yaris handle the ice and the hills like a plow I swear never slipped once or even felt like it was going to. I will recommend this car to anyone who will listen I still think its a shoebox but man what it handles like a half track in bad weather.

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan Manual
By Jack Santos on 01/03/09 12:39 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a cheap, reliable car, the Toyota is the way to go. My family has been using Toyota for 20 years and never has had problems. The Yaris is no exception. The styling of the car catches glimpse even more than the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. The center mounted climate control, radio, and odometers create a very nice V look. Not the fastest car out there, but one that will get you from A to B at a decent pace. Acceleration is slow however buyers are not looking for a fast car.

Yellow Yaris
By Steve on 12/27/08 10:52 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only after a few days I'm loving this Yaris! Bought for commuting so I'll be putting some miles on the car. After trying several other cars it was an easy decision to take the Yaris. I'll write again after the break-in period.

Great Little Car
By Luke on 12/10/08 12:05 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

In my opinion, people give out too many 10s these days, so I'm trying to make my review as realistic as possible. I've always driven a truck, but seeing the way the economy is and fluctuating gas prices, downsizing is the smart thing to do now. I don't have a lead foot, but I'm not always the most conservative driver and I'm getting 38 mpg doing about 30% city/70% highway. Looks great on the outside, the build quality is good. As far as reliability, I believe it was consumer reports that put it in its top 10 list of reliable cars at #7 so that's definitely a good thing. Overall, I'm happy with the car and recommend it to friends when they say "Nice bubble, do you like it?"

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Yaris in VA is:

$132 per month*