Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Go Yaris
By love it

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the gas mileage and low fuel costs! Very Comfortable on long trips for my 5ft 7 inch frame. Very quiet! I can hold Blue Tooth Cell phone conversations at highway speed. Love the small car maneuverability after years of driving a Dodge Grand Caravan. Very quick steering and short turn radius.

OEM navigation from Motevo Mobile

Luv the styling except for the front end which looks 'Mickey Mouse'. Great aerodynamics though! That's what really counts.

08 Yaris - everything I wanted
By Chris

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle to get me to work, store, etc. This is it. I've had this car 10 months, put 16K miles on it, and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. On an average tank of gas, combination of highway/town, I get between 39-41mpg. I run 80mph on the interstate with plenty left, handles great. The dash in the middle takes getting used to, and the corner posts are too thick, impeding vision, especially backing out of a parking place, I would like to see a tach, temp gauges. Besides that, this car is great. No regrets.

Corner posts are a real safety issue that will get people hurt. They need to be redesigned. Add a tach, temp gauge option.

Great little commuter car
By Volocty

2009 Toyota Yaris S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We love this car. It is everything we were looking for in a small commuter car. My wife calls it the Hummingbird, because it requires so little fuel to get around. We chose the "S" and Power package, which gives you all the features you need. My only complaint is that the Turn-signal indicator is too quiet. We choose the Manual 5-spd and have no regrets. Seats are firm, visibility is OK, center-mount dash layout takes a little while to get use to, but is very nice at night, since there is no light distraction directly in front of you. And we love the style and look of the "S" model.

Gas mileage is wonderful. Parking is a snap.

Louder Turn-signal indicator (just can't hear it).

My cyclops
By fred lowe

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Really enjoying my 2009 Yaris liftback. Very quiet inside cabin while driving in town or on highways. Getting about 400 miles per 11 gallon fill up from 50/50 city and highway driving. Very responsive handling and without bending my neck do not hit my head while getting behind the steering wheel. I'm 6'0 tall. Car seems much larger sitting inside than when looking in from the outside. This is the first time I was able to get 2 vehicles inside my 2 car garage and with plenty of room to spare. The lift back door does not hit my garage door when both are fully opened and I can still stand up straight underneath the lift back fully opened with a couple inches to spare.

The instrument panel "cyclops" central location is an excellent idea. I no longer have to look over or through the steering wheel to see the speedometer. There are 3 large compartments that open up on the dashboard. One is right in front of the steering wheel and other two on the right side of dash.

The only thing is a visible temperature and oil gauge instead of lights.

Too Americanized
By viztor

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car except for driving. Poor handling, steering imprecise at highway speeds, shifting into 5th is clunky, visibility out of vehicle poor (thick door posts, headrests block lines of sight), bigger blind spot than my old car. Our old 1978 or 1981 Civics would eat the Yaris alive and spit out the pieces. Driving is now a chore, not an enjoyable experience. No ash tray (good for storing insurance card, etc.), no external antenna (degrades reception), speedometer needle hard to see when wearing sunglasses, have to check proper operation, but rear seat seat belts seem to be obstacles when the seat is down.

Air conditioning.

Give it good handling and lower the price.

• SUV