Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

My cyclops
By fred lowe

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Really enjoying my 2009 Yaris liftback. Very quiet inside cabin while driving in town or on highways. Getting about 400 miles per 11 gallon fill up from 50/50 city and highway driving. Very responsive handling and without bending my neck do not hit my head while getting behind the steering wheel. I'm 6'0 tall. Car seems much larger sitting inside than when looking in from the outside. This is the first time I was able to get 2 vehicles inside my 2 car garage and with plenty of room to spare. The lift back door does not hit my garage door when both are fully opened and I can still stand up straight underneath the lift back fully opened with a couple inches to spare.

The instrument panel "cyclops" central location is an excellent idea. I no longer have to look over or through the steering wheel to see the speedometer. There are 3 large compartments that open up on the dashboard. One is right in front of the steering wheel and other two on the right side of dash.

The only thing is a visible temperature and oil gauge instead of lights.

All You Need
By Eric

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We are very happy with our choice. The Yaris ended up being exactly what we needed. This car looks tiny but has a bunch of room. A 6-ft, 160 lbs man can sit comfortably in the rear seats. Keep in mind this is an inexpensive economy car. What got that, combined with reliability, quality and somewhat surprising performance. A Toyota will hold its value far better than other competitors in this area (Kia, Hyndai) - except perhaps Honda, which costs quite a bit more.

Copious storage compartments. Reclining rear seats. Standard ABS and side curtain airbags.

The instrument panel is spartan. A few more crucial gauges would have been nice. Standard remote-operated mirrors would have been nice.

So far, awesome!
By stephen portier

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this car four months and I already have 20,000 miles and nothing has gone wrong. I am in my car all day for about 175 miles on average and I have nothing to complain about. Sure it's not the fastest thing in the world but who expected that? And everything else about it is perfect. Mine stays in a straight line for hours. Not to mention perfect gas mileage for not even being hybrid. I may not know everything but I love this car.

I bought two yarii this week! Woo hoo!
By Cassandra

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

For a subcompact car, this one delivers. Awesome fuel mileage is the deal on this car. It won't burn the tires off with take off, but you're gonna get at least 42 mpg with cruise and a/c on! Turn off a/c and cruise, and you're getting 50 mpg. The car is zippy, and contrary to opinion, big trucks do not blow you off the road. The thing will turn on a dime. Park anywhere.

Can we say awesome mpg's? This is a no-brainer people. If you want to spend an extra 10 to 15 grand on a hybrid, that's your choice. Six airbags and abs brakes come standard.

None.

TERRIBLE to drive!!
By Kelly

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has the absolute WORST driveability of any car that I have recently driven. This purchase is a HUGE MISTAKE and I have nothing but REGRETS!!. It DOES NOT GO IN STRAIGHT LINE ON THE HIGHWAY!!!!!! It needs CONSTANT, and I mean CONSTANT, steering corrections to keep it going straight ahead. So your arms get EXTREMELY tired in a very short time (And yes, I've checked the alignment SEVERAL times). I had a friend's 2000 Geo Metro Hatchback for a couple months last year, and that car tracked waaaayy better (and that's a $1000 car for crying out loud!!!!!!!). It is impossible to take this car on anything more than a half hour drive without feeling your arms are going to fall off!!!

Fuel economy, reliable as the sun and moon, ultra-compact dimensions make it a joy to maneuver and park in the city.

DRASTICALLY IMPROVE the straight-line stability and tracking!!! (maybe the steering ratio is too quick or something)