Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Most Helpful|
5 door
By aargos

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 5 door for 3 years now. Gets good fuel economy as expected and so far no issues. Feels nimble and zippy around town. However, would not buy it again. For not so small 17+ k the car feels too cheap. It exudes cheapness/budget. Even at street speed open 1 window and you get greeted with such bad wind buffeting it gives me and my wife a headache. We have to open the window on other side to even it out. Maybe its the shape, I don't know but never experienced it in any other car. If you're looking for a good small car in this price range go with the Fit, there is a reason why it consistantly gets better rated. My wife and I certainly wish we did.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Complete redesign desperately needed.

Great car
By vrod305

2009 Toyota Yaris S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a preowned 2009 Yaris S in January with 77,500 miles on it. Have put 16,000 miles on it since. It's an amazing car. Decent gas mileage, relatively quiet and very reliable. I've had no issues with it other than a headlight going out (which my mechanic didn't even charge to replace). I'm 6'3 and I fit fine in it. Does have trouble with going up mountain, but with 106 horsepower, you have to accept that. Would be nice if it had automatic looks, but that's not too big a deal. I would suggest a Yaris to anyone. This is also after I had a 2000 Echo that I drove for six years and got rid of with 199,800 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic locks.

My best car!
By CoBfan1987

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first brand new car and have not been disappointed one bit. In regards to the review by edmunds: When I test drove the automatic, I did notice more lack of power output. Its a good thing I was stubborn and would only buy a manual. Much higher power output. ;) And there is not a thing wrong with centrally placed gauges, its just different. It then allows for not 1, not 2...but 3 separate glove box storage areas.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage (35 - 38 mpg) and very dependable. Great for parking in crowded areas with small spots and parallel parking! Great price!

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements.

Super Little Car
By Toyota Fan

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a commuter as my husband drives 80 miles round trip daily. We have almost 34,000 miles on it and get 43-44 mpg on the highway consistently, driving at 65 mph. This car is fun to drive, corners nicely, accelerates quickly, and is amazingly quiet for a small car. I was a little antsy about safety in such a small car, until my husband hit a deer the other night at 55 mph and sustained no damage to the frame or engine compartment, nor to himself I am happy to say! We haven't experienced any problems at all with our Yaris, and plan to keep this car for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Reliability, safety, economy.

Suggested Improvements

It was bought as a bare-bones economy car, and does the job just fine. I do wish though that the cup holders would accommodate the larger insulated cups.

Nice Little Car
By obsessed2

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife on our 19th wedding anniversary and almost a year later am completely satisfied. Contrary to Edmund's review, this car has very good pickup with an automatic transmission. It offers all options including power windows, locks, and mirrors, as well as a security system that automatically locks the doors after about 30 seconds. The gas mileage is a huge plus. I average around 40 mpg during normal every day driving. The center display takes some time to get used to but after a while is no problem and actually feels well placed. 15 inch tires makes it handle extremely well. Overall, this is one nice little car when upgraded with available options.

Favorite Features

Very dependable. Gas mileage. Tire pressure monitoring system. Six air bags. Roomy. Plenty of storage compartments. Got a great price because auto industry is in a slump.

Suggested Improvements

Offer cruise control on 3 door hatchback. I purchased a Rostra aftermarket cruise package ($400) sold by the dealer and professionally installed a Rostra technician. The install looks so good you would swear it is stock. Comes with a 3 year warranty and works perfectly. Add delay for rear wiper.