Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Econobox
By Johnny Boy

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the price, I really can't complain. Have had some build quality issues, but they are all minor. It does make a lot of engine noise, and tire noise is also annoying at times- but then again, it is an econobox. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles on it before any major repairs have to be done. I sense that Toyota has slacked off on some of it's products, but I think the Yaris is worth the buy.

Cup holders are cool. Just right for a commuter car. Fits easily into a parking spot.

Better seats would be a help- my back usually hurts from the cheap and lack of cushion. Reduction of engine noise and tire/front end noise would be a great help. Noisy cars tend to make people nervous, as if something is wrong. Use a little better material to make the interior.

Super Little Car
By Toyota Fan

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a commuter as my husband drives 80 miles round trip daily. We have almost 34,000 miles on it and get 43-44 mpg on the highway consistently, driving at 65 mph. This car is fun to drive, corners nicely, accelerates quickly, and is amazingly quiet for a small car. I was a little antsy about safety in such a small car, until my husband hit a deer the other night at 55 mph and sustained no damage to the frame or engine compartment, nor to himself I am happy to say! We haven't experienced any problems at all with our Yaris, and plan to keep this car for a long time to come.

Reliability, safety, economy.

It was bought as a bare-bones economy car, and does the job just fine. I do wish though that the cup holders would accommodate the larger insulated cups.

after 18 months
By harshad

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 18 months and 23,000 miles it's been a smooth sailing so far. I get 36- 38 mpg in spring through fall and 35 in winter. all the cup holders and bins are plus. automatic transmission is slow but adequate for commute. hope its reliability is as good as my other toyotas.

cup holders galore, decent stereo, good visibility, ingress and exit

bring diesel here, offer bluetooth

Nice car
By Catman

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a 95 van that got 13 MPG on a good day and wanted a green vehicle. So far I really like my car. In the summer I average 36-38 MPG. In the winners it's more like 33-34. I travel about 60/40 (highway/city) in a hilly area. On a flat highway I get 42+ mpg. The Yaris is not a luxury car but it has a decent ride and plenty of pep. In fact it's more comfortable to drive than my LeSabre because the seats are high, and you don't feel like you're sitting on the ground like you do in a Corvette or Firebird. The center console takes some getting use to but at night you don't have any distractions and it's easier to see. Good air and heat. It's a very fine economical car

MPG, cup holders. MP3 hookup. I got the bare bones vehicle without the power locks/windows.

I wish I had gotten the 4-door. You can enter the backseat from both sides, but only the passenger side seat slides forward and back without extra effort.

Hybrid-like gas mileage.
By Mike C.

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the closest you're going to get to a hybrid, without an electric or diesel motor. Right now I'm averaging about 36 mpg with aggressive 60/40 city/hwy driving. And get over 40 mpg hwy. It's an amazing car, with the room and comfort of some mid-sized vehicles. I also drive a Tacoma, and have found the Yaris more comfortable. Contrary to other posts, I have found my Yaris auto to be quite peppy. It won't set speed records, but it's very practical. I got a feeling that this will be a keeper for a long time to come.

Gas mileage; deceptive roominess; and maneuverability in the city.

I would like to see it in a diesel. Getting 40 mpg now, could you imagine what a diesel would give you?