2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
My best car!
By CoBfan1987 on 02/02/10 04:06 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first brand new car and have not been disappointed one bit. In regards to the review by edmunds: When I test drove the automatic, I did notice more lack of power output. Its a good thing I was stubborn and would only buy a manual. Much higher power output. ;) And there is not a thing wrong with centrally placed gauges, its just different. It then allows for not 1, not 2...but 3 separate glove box storage areas.

FUEL ECONOMY NOT WHAT THEY SAY
By STEVE FLOYD on 01/27/10 12:08 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I live in Iowa and only get around 26 miles per gallon -- 50% highway during the winter. i got around 35 miles per gallon in the summer. not happy with fuel economy since i am giving up safety for fuel economy

Nice Little Car
By obsessed2 on 01/02/10 07:23 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife on our 19th wedding anniversary and almost a year later am completely satisfied. Contrary to Edmund's review, this car has very good pickup with an automatic transmission. It offers all options including power windows, locks, and mirrors, as well as a security system that automatically locks the doors after about 30 seconds. The gas mileage is a huge plus. I average around 40 mpg during normal every day driving. The center display takes some time to get used to but after a while is no problem and actually feels well placed. 15 inch tires makes it handle extremely well. Overall, this is one nice little car when upgraded with available options.

Best small car for the $
By psaw on 12/14/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car for a commuter, and it does its job nicely. No complaints at all. If you understand what a subcompact car is before you go car shopping, then, and only then will you understand that this car is worth every penny. BTW, I took it off roading a while back, not by choice, and it did better than expected. Very tough.

08 Yaris - everything I wanted
By Chris on 10/13/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle to get me to work, store, etc. This is it. I've had this car 10 months, put 16K miles on it, and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. On an average tank of gas, combination of highway/town, I get between 39-41mpg. I run 80mph on the interstate with plenty left, handles great. The dash in the middle takes getting used to, and the corner posts are too thick, impeding vision, especially backing out of a parking place, I would like to see a tach, temp gauges. Besides that, this car is great. No regrets.

Great little commuter car
By Volocty on 09/11/09 09:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We love this car. It is everything we were looking for in a small commuter car. My wife calls it the Hummingbird, because it requires so little fuel to get around. We chose the "S" and Power package, which gives you all the features you need. My only complaint is that the Turn-signal indicator is too quiet. We choose the Manual 5-spd and have no regrets. Seats are firm, visibility is OK, center-mount dash layout takes a little while to get use to, but is very nice at night, since there is no light distraction directly in front of you. And we love the style and look of the "S" model.

My cyclops
By fred lowe on 08/26/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Really enjoying my 2009 Yaris liftback. Very quiet inside cabin while driving in town or on highways. Getting about 400 miles per 11 gallon fill up from 50/50 city and highway driving. Very responsive handling and without bending my neck do not hit my head while getting behind the steering wheel. I'm 6'0 tall. Car seems much larger sitting inside than when looking in from the outside. This is the first time I was able to get 2 vehicles inside my 2 car garage and with plenty of room to spare. The lift back door does not hit my garage door when both are fully opened and I can still stand up straight underneath the lift back fully opened with a couple inches to spare.

All You Need
By Eric on 08/03/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We are very happy with our choice. The Yaris ended up being exactly what we needed. This car looks tiny but has a bunch of room. A 6-ft, 160 lbs man can sit comfortably in the rear seats. Keep in mind this is an inexpensive economy car. What got that, combined with reliability, quality and somewhat surprising performance. A Toyota will hold its value far better than other competitors in this area (Kia, Hyndai) - except perhaps Honda, which costs quite a bit more.

So far, awesome!
By stephen portier on 08/02/09 17:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this car four months and I already have 20,000 miles and nothing has gone wrong. I am in my car all day for about 175 miles on average and I have nothing to complain about. Sure it's not the fastest thing in the world but who expected that? And everything else about it is perfect. Mine stays in a straight line for hours. Not to mention perfect gas mileage for not even being hybrid. I may not know everything but I love this car.

I bought two yarii this week! Woo hoo!
By Cassandra on 07/28/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

For a subcompact car, this one delivers. Awesome fuel mileage is the deal on this car. It won't burn the tires off with take off, but you're gonna get at least 42 mpg with cruise and a/c on! Turn off a/c and cruise, and you're getting 50 mpg. The car is zippy, and contrary to opinion, big trucks do not blow you off the road. The thing will turn on a dime. Park anywhere.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback in VA is:

$132 per month*