Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Yaris

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

2 yrs review
By hborgaonkar

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

after 2 yrs and 29000 miles the car has been a great commuter car. I consistently get 36-38 on my 56 mile daily commute. It did great in a very snowy minnesota winter with snow tires. I am happy with this $14k vehicle that has great value.

Favorite Features

styling, stereo, ability to fit my roadbike

Suggested Improvements

seating position, bluetooth

Two years now 20000 miles
By dadinfo

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

It performs great for most of our driving. Mom drives it mostly and is in love, head over heels. OVER 40 MPG ! ! !

Favorite Features

Mpg - Power - Room in the back- Low cost overall.

Suggested Improvements

Dash too hard

Almost 3 years under my belt....still going strong
By daf62757

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought mine in December 2008. Its been just under 2 years and I can report a little more since I first submitted a review. This car is so roomy for such a small car. I have rented a bunch of cars on travel and all of them all less roomy than the Yaris hatchback. I just rented a Corolla and it was so cramped compared to my Yaris. The fuel mileage is fairly consistent. I get about 39 MPG on the interstate and 31 around town. I drive 70 MPH on the interstate so getting almost 40 MPG with the A/C on is really good. The car has very little road noise. I do notice that around 70 MPH, it is a little difficult to hear conversations on my cell phone, but it isn't a problem.

Favorite Features

The design of the interior is so roomy. You don't have a lot of room between the front seats, but except for that, it is more roomy and comfortable than almost any other car I have driven. I also have a Rav4 and this car is more comfortable. The cup holders directly in front of the air vents is genius. Cold keeps cold in the summer.....coffee keeps warm in the winter. In between you can shut the vent off and it doesn't effect the cup.

Suggested Improvements

Wow.....don't know about improvements. I would like some little creature comforts. Dual auto windows instead of just the drivers window would be nice. I would love to have the outside temperature show up on the display. Better radio options would be nice too. Always would like to see how a stretch version....with bigger back seats would look. I am sure it would effect MPG but would offer more usage for larger families.

Best car I've ever owned
By St.Louis.Girl

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Yaris in a pinch when my old one blew up and left me stranded. I needed a car in a hurry and I was craving reliability after that car maintenance fiasco - so I went straight to Toyota. I've had the car for a year an a half and 18,000 miles. I love it. No problems at all, drove it from St. Louis to Galveston and back comfortably with 2 people and a dog on board. It has better acceleration, a smoother and quieter ride and overall better quality than any other small car that I've ever had - or been riding in for that matter. Also easy to get in and out of, even the back seat, even for my 6'4" brother. I would recommend this car to anyone, 100 times over.

Favorite Features

zippy acceleration, comfortable ride, amazing mileage (usually around 40 mpg), incredible price tag, low routine maintenance costs - I've learned to love the gauges in the middle of the dashboard - doesn't blind me when I drive at night.

Suggested Improvements

My one and only complaint - that center console is in an awkward place. I have an automatic and rather short arms, and I still bump my elbow when I put it in gear. I pity the person who gets a manual and has long arms. I do like the convenience of it and it makes for a nice arm rest on long drives.

Econobox
By Johnny Boy

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the price, I really can't complain. Have had some build quality issues, but they are all minor. It does make a lot of engine noise, and tire noise is also annoying at times- but then again, it is an econobox. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles on it before any major repairs have to be done. I sense that Toyota has slacked off on some of it's products, but I think the Yaris is worth the buy.

Favorite Features

Cup holders are cool. Just right for a commuter car. Fits easily into a parking spot.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats would be a help- my back usually hurts from the cheap and lack of cushion. Reduction of engine noise and tire/front end noise would be a great help. Noisy cars tend to make people nervous, as if something is wrong. Use a little better material to make the interior.