Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Review after 17 months of ownership
By Bill

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a new car that I could reasonably expect would be economical (good mpg) & reliable (no problems). After 17 months of ownership & 15,550 miles my cumulative gas mileage is 42.7 mpg. I've not had ANY mechanical or electrical problems with the auto. I've taken it in for the 5K, 10K, & 15K routine maintenance & that is it.

Favorite Features

42.7 mpg; 38 degree cold air; 185 degree hot air; center dashboard location of instrument cluster; cruise control (a feature that I thought I'd never use, & now find I use it every day); electric power steering instead of the old hydraulic system; electric door lock

Suggested Improvements

Vinyl floor mats instead of the carpets. Carpets are difficult to keep clean & show wear. Vinyl covering on seats instead of upholstery (longer wearing & doesn't show wear)

'09 Yaris
By Rob

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my '09 Yaris. Dealer can, VERY LOW MILEAGE. I was lucky to find one with the 5 speed man. trans. With a combination of city/highway driving and I am able to get 47.8 mpg CONSISTENTLY. I am very impressed with the car's quality and the quietness of the engine even at highway speeds. As far as the center mounted instruments are concerned. At first I found them to be very awkward, but after just a few days I am very comfortable with the center location..

Favorite Features

MPG

Suggested Improvements

None

Death Mobile!
By Teenage Driver

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Hi this is my second review the Title I used before this one is "I like mine". Since my last review I have experienced an episode of Unintended acceleration. After school was out I started my car my car was in neutral since it's a standard when my engine revved up like I was pressing the gas pedal So I turn it off & start it again & it's normal again so as I was heading home I was using the cruise control when out of no where it started accelerating so I pushed the brakes because usually it deactivates the cruise but this time it didn't. It got up 2 the speed of 95 MPH when I shift it to neutral I was able to stop but the engine kept revving. Stay away from toyota yaris's they are defective as well.

Favorite Features

NONE!

Suggested Improvements

Fix these cars! Almost killed by scaring the hell outta me! There are other cases. Took it into Toyota they said nothing was wrong and that a standard transmission is incapable of sudden acceleration. News Flash They are!

I like mine
By Teenage driver

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My mother bought this car for me last year. I commute everyday to school since in Montana we hav a lot of rural places. this car has awesome gas mileage and it has a smooth ride. The stock speakers are nothing special but I replaced them with JBL speakers i found in another Toyota that was wrecked. Oh and I also get lifetime oil changes. During the winter just get a sand bag n put it in the trunk these cars tend to slide their tales in a turn as I experienced a couple of times. Would recommend to anyone the manual is awesome skip the automatic I test drove one and it was pathetic.

Favorite Features

The Ride, lifetime oil changes, roominess, Stock stereo with JBL speakers are awesome!!

Suggested Improvements

Not a fan of the seats I'm 6'2 and sometimes it gets uncomfortable and seats are firm. Add a cooler intake system too I did and I get 46 mpg on the highway and adds about 20 more Horsepower

Amazing
By Andrew

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying a Yaris I did a ton of research on comparable cars and came to the conclusion that the Yaris Sedan was the best bang for the buck. I have not been disappointed. I love this car! Toyota was also offering 0% financing, so it was an even better deal. Comfortable and quiet (for the price), amazing gas mileage, and Toyota reliability. I couldn't be happier. In my opinion, the Yaris Sedan is the best car in its class... and I have looked at tons of other cars for comparison. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. I average roughly 35mpg without trying to conserve gas. Car has plenty of room (I'm 5'9") and is an incredibly comfortable ride. It also looks like a normal car (as opposed to the Versa and Fit) and doesn't give up style for functionality. Everything seems very well built.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders in a slightly different location (if defroster is on it will warm up your cold drink), and a more substantial armrest. Also glad I got the stick for highway merging... A couple more HP would be nice.