2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

2009 Yaris Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
4 Years and 125000 Klm's
By skipper22

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Yaris for nearly 4 years now and sadly I just sold it as I didn't need it any longer. But I can attest to great fuel economy, fantastic quality, and a terrific resale. I have 125000 klm's on this baby and never once in the dealer for ANY problems whatsoever. Regular oil changes 8-10000 k's etc., and never a moments problem. So much so, I now have a 2011 Corolla.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, reliability, cost-per-mile inexpensive, easy handling and just plain fun!

Suggested Improvements

Better O.E. tires. Mine wore out at 53000 K's. Not good. And perhaps a slightly peppier engine but not much.

Good car but others have gotten better
By emajor

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Our Yaris is a 2008 and we are now 3 1/2 years and 36,000 miles into our ownership. Car has been perfectly reliable and exceeds EPA ratings, we regularly see 40 to 44 mpg highway, 30+ in town. Roomy up front, with lots of legroom, but narrow. Backseat has enough legroom & headroom for 6-footers and under. Large trunk. Lots of storage pockets, the center gauges are no problem, and the interior is pretty nice. Less road noise than the Fit. Problems: The engine has enough power, but the 4 speed automatic needs another gear or two. Driving position is terrible for taller drivers; the wheel is too far away, and the pedals too close. Pay attention to this during your test drive.

Favorite Features

Roomy for its size, very reliable and efficient, quick steering is accurate and makes the car fun to dart around town, good ride quality, fairly quiet on the highway, plenty of storage for wallet, phone, ipod, etc., engine is peppy enough around town, turns on a dime. Four years in, and we don't regret the purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Desperately needs a telescoping steering wheel. 5 or 6 speed automatic would help engine performance. Sound quality from the stereo is really bad, with overblown murky bass and no midrange clarity, but this is nothing new for cheap cars. New competitors like the Fiesta, Accent, and Sonic have improved since we bought our Yaris and have better driving positions, stronger engines, and similar fuel economy. If I were shopping now, I would get one of those or wait until the Yaris is redesigned to see if they have improved some of the weaknesses.

Two years now 20000 miles
By dadinfo

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

It performs great for most of our driving. Mom drives it mostly and is in love, head over heels. OVER 40 MPG ! ! !

Favorite Features

Mpg - Power - Room in the back- Low cost overall.

Suggested Improvements

Dash too hard

Best car I've ever owned
By St.Louis.Girl

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Yaris in a pinch when my old one blew up and left me stranded. I needed a car in a hurry and I was craving reliability after that car maintenance fiasco - so I went straight to Toyota. I've had the car for a year an a half and 18,000 miles. I love it. No problems at all, drove it from St. Louis to Galveston and back comfortably with 2 people and a dog on board. It has better acceleration, a smoother and quieter ride and overall better quality than any other small car that I've ever had - or been riding in for that matter. Also easy to get in and out of, even the back seat, even for my 6'4" brother. I would recommend this car to anyone, 100 times over.

Favorite Features

zippy acceleration, comfortable ride, amazing mileage (usually around 40 mpg), incredible price tag, low routine maintenance costs - I've learned to love the gauges in the middle of the dashboard - doesn't blind me when I drive at night.

Suggested Improvements

My one and only complaint - that center console is in an awkward place. I have an automatic and rather short arms, and I still bump my elbow when I put it in gear. I pity the person who gets a manual and has long arms. I do like the convenience of it and it makes for a nice arm rest on long drives.

Awsome car
By Cycliste1961

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Absolutely love this car. Low initial cost and low cost to maintain. I have lifetime oil and filter changes. I am a no fuss guy who wants a reliable car with the lowest possible fuel consumption. Great steering wheel response. Super maneuverability and great road feel. This is equivalent to the Corolla of the 80's. A car for those of us who cannot be bothered with vehicle problems.

Favorite Features

Fuel consumption. Interior. Maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great car
By Carl

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2008 odyssey, which i have determined is too large for city driving, but great for the long haul as we run up and down the coast from Savannah to Cocoa beach. As a result i purchased a 2009, 25,000 mile Yaris sedan to tool around town . Great car, turning radius, great fit into parking lots, easy to maneuver, and an average of 33.7MPG in the city. (mind you, not a metropolis city, but more like long island. This also removes the wear and tare from my Odyssey which i reserve for the relaxing long haul, especially since my wife likes to drive!

Favorite Features

city driving maneuverability

Suggested Improvements

Sure wish it came with the instantaneous MPG read out.

Yaris
By Natalie

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Yaris for about a year and a half and I have had no problems with the car. I used to own a small car so I am used to the small engine so this may have an effect on my review.

Favorite Features

I really like the auxiliary jack that I can plug my phone into the car and listen to music through my phone. I also like the build of the Yaris and I have had no problems speeding up or using the AC.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements. Great price, great car.

Review after 17 months of ownership
By Bill

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a new car that I could reasonably expect would be economical (good mpg) & reliable (no problems). After 17 months of ownership & 15,550 miles my cumulative gas mileage is 42.7 mpg. I've not had ANY mechanical or electrical problems with the auto. I've taken it in for the 5K, 10K, & 15K routine maintenance & that is it.

Favorite Features

42.7 mpg; 38 degree cold air; 185 degree hot air; center dashboard location of instrument cluster; cruise control (a feature that I thought I'd never use, & now find I use it every day); electric power steering instead of the old hydraulic system; electric door lock

Suggested Improvements

Vinyl floor mats instead of the carpets. Carpets are difficult to keep clean & show wear. Vinyl covering on seats instead of upholstery (longer wearing & doesn't show wear)

Good little car.
By Stick Shift Driver

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I turned 16 my parents bought a practical economy car so I could get to school and work. The car rides nice for an economy car, and it rides and sits higher than my Dad's Honda Fit. The car is obviously not that fast, but it can swiftly accelerate when it needs to. I really like the center mounted gauges. The car doesn't really have much other than the power package, which I actually didn't want, but it was all the dealer had. The car has a lot of headroom for a tiny car, and the rear seats can fold down to make more cargo room. I originally wanted a truck, but I am happy with 42 on the highway, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking to buy a practical commuting car.

Favorite Features

Center mounted gauges, easy-to-use a/c and radio controls, no unintended acceleration! To the review below me, the Yaris is not a powerful car, the brakes would have stopped it if you kept them held down. And did you think to push in the clutch before 95 mph? Seriously?

Suggested Improvements

Make front cup holders so that they can hold more than a child size drink, move the center console back so your elbow doesn't bump it when shifting into 2nd and 4th, Interior could be a little less cheap, but what do you expect for $13,000?

'09 Yaris
By Rob

2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my '09 Yaris. Dealer can, VERY LOW MILEAGE. I was lucky to find one with the 5 speed man. trans. With a combination of city/highway driving and I am able to get 47.8 mpg CONSISTENTLY. I am very impressed with the car's quality and the quietness of the engine even at highway speeds. As far as the center mounted instruments are concerned. At first I found them to be very awkward, but after just a few days I am very comfortable with the center location..

Favorite Features

MPG

Suggested Improvements

None