2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
Super Little Car
By Toyota Fan on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a commuter as my husband drives 80 miles round trip daily. We have almost 34,000 miles on it and get 43-44 mpg on the highway consistently, driving at 65 mph. This car is fun to drive, corners nicely, accelerates quickly, and is amazingly quiet for a small car. I was a little antsy about safety in such a small car, until my husband hit a deer the other night at 55 mph and sustained no damage to the frame or engine compartment, nor to himself I am happy to say! We haven't experienced any problems at all with our Yaris, and plan to keep this car for a long time to come.

My best car!
By CoBfan1987 on 02/02/10 04:06 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first brand new car and have not been disappointed one bit. In regards to the review by edmunds: When I test drove the automatic, I did notice more lack of power output. Its a good thing I was stubborn and would only buy a manual. Much higher power output. ;) And there is not a thing wrong with centrally placed gauges, its just different. It then allows for not 1, not 2...but 3 separate glove box storage areas.

Best small car for the $
By psaw on 12/14/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car for a commuter, and it does its job nicely. No complaints at all. If you understand what a subcompact car is before you go car shopping, then, and only then will you understand that this car is worth every penny. BTW, I took it off roading a while back, not by choice, and it did better than expected. Very tough.

08 Yaris - everything I wanted
By Chris on 10/13/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle to get me to work, store, etc. This is it. I've had this car 10 months, put 16K miles on it, and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. On an average tank of gas, combination of highway/town, I get between 39-41mpg. I run 80mph on the interstate with plenty left, handles great. The dash in the middle takes getting used to, and the corner posts are too thick, impeding vision, especially backing out of a parking place, I would like to see a tach, temp gauges. Besides that, this car is great. No regrets.

All You Need
By Eric on 08/03/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We are very happy with our choice. The Yaris ended up being exactly what we needed. This car looks tiny but has a bunch of room. A 6-ft, 160 lbs man can sit comfortably in the rear seats. Keep in mind this is an inexpensive economy car. What got that, combined with reliability, quality and somewhat surprising performance. A Toyota will hold its value far better than other competitors in this area (Kia, Hyndai) - except perhaps Honda, which costs quite a bit more.

Theres no competition.
By Twistoffate0817 on 05/29/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The price, the MPG, the style... this car has it all! There is no other car out there that can come close to competing with the yaris. This is overall an amazing car and you have to check it out before buying a new car.

The more I drive it, the more I like it.
By Al on 05/22/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I originally planned to get a used Camry or Accord but found that vehicles 2 years old with 40-60k miles cost more than my new Yaris. When I first saw the Yaris I almost laughed as I am 6'4" and I thought "No way will this work". I got in and was quite surprised at the room for my legs and head. I also had tried out a Scion HD and my head was touching the ceiling. And to be honest, I really liked the Honda Fit....but not for $3,000 more. First tank I got 37 mpg and I have had it a month now and have filled up twice. Don't miss the weekly visits to the gas station. The manual trans is smooth and fun and the center instrument panel and controls are just fine. No regrets!

Best Little Car
By Len on 05/07/09 16:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded a fully loaded Mazda 6 and have no regrets. This little car is awesome! The 2 door Yaris is easy to drive, perfect for around town, commuter or second car. The seats are extremely comfortable. General driving, no freeway, 1500 miles, 36 and 37 mpg. Lots of head room, seems large inside, love the European look better than all other competitors. 5 speed manual is extremely smooth. My wife and I really love this little car.

Great First Car
By newyarisowner on 05/01/09 16:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first stick shift. I love the look of this car. After looking at multiple used cars I decided that it was a better deal to get the yaris. I have found it to be very easy to learn how to drive a manual on this car, and it definitely gets up and goes when you tell it to. I only drive about 15 miles to work but the mpgs on this car are amazing and save me a lot of money on gas. Overall the inside does feel cheap, but that's what you get in an economy car. Overall a great little car.

I love this car!!
By Stephanie Less on 04/01/09 16:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fantastic! I test drove both the manual and the automatic, and the manual is just wonderful. The clutch is smooth and it handles great. This little car can get up and go! One thing I love is how roomy it is, even though it looks like small from the outside. I can fit my sculpture supplies in the back no problem, especially after folding down the seats. I thought the speedometer in the middle would be a problem, but I've had no issue with it all, and I don't think anyone should let that hold them back from this great car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback in VA is:

$132 per month*