Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

5 door
By aargos

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 5 door for 3 years now. Gets good fuel economy as expected and so far no issues. Feels nimble and zippy around town. However, would not buy it again. For not so small 17+ k the car feels too cheap. It exudes cheapness/budget. Even at street speed open 1 window and you get greeted with such bad wind buffeting it gives me and my wife a headache. We have to open the window on other side to even it out. Maybe its the shape, I don't know but never experienced it in any other car. If you're looking for a good small car in this price range go with the Fit, there is a reason why it consistantly gets better rated. My wife and I certainly wish we did.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Complete redesign desperately needed.

4 yr. ownership review
By hborgaonkar

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 50000 miles and four years the car has been great. lot of people still ask about this car. great value. its not great in acceleration but smooth at 70mph. Got a new 6 in. touchscreen kenwood stereo with bluetooth audio and telephone, ipod integration, and pandora to bring it to today's AV standard. It does great with snow tires in Minnesota winters. My wife prefers this car in snow over her new Sienna and Acura TSX. That's says something about this car. Just another great Toyota

Favorite Features

cute looks, reliability

Suggested Improvements

get a performance version to match Fiesta and little better interior trim feel

Great car
By vrod305

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a preowned 2009 Yaris S in January with 77,500 miles on it. Have put 16,000 miles on it since. It's an amazing car. Decent gas mileage, relatively quiet and very reliable. I've had no issues with it other than a headlight going out (which my mechanic didn't even charge to replace). I'm 6'3 and I fit fine in it. Does have trouble with going up mountain, but with 106 horsepower, you have to accept that. Would be nice if it had automatic looks, but that's not too big a deal. I would suggest a Yaris to anyone. This is also after I had a 2000 Echo that I drove for six years and got rid of with 199,800 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic locks.

Almost 3 years under my belt....still going strong
By daf62757

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought mine in December 2008. Its been just under 2 years and I can report a little more since I first submitted a review. This car is so roomy for such a small car. I have rented a bunch of cars on travel and all of them all less roomy than the Yaris hatchback. I just rented a Corolla and it was so cramped compared to my Yaris. The fuel mileage is fairly consistent. I get about 39 MPG on the interstate and 31 around town. I drive 70 MPH on the interstate so getting almost 40 MPG with the A/C on is really good. The car has very little road noise. I do notice that around 70 MPH, it is a little difficult to hear conversations on my cell phone, but it isn't a problem.

Favorite Features

The design of the interior is so roomy. You don't have a lot of room between the front seats, but except for that, it is more roomy and comfortable than almost any other car I have driven. I also have a Rav4 and this car is more comfortable. The cup holders directly in front of the air vents is genius. Cold keeps cold in the summer.....coffee keeps warm in the winter. In between you can shut the vent off and it doesn't effect the cup.

Suggested Improvements

Wow.....don't know about improvements. I would like some little creature comforts. Dual auto windows instead of just the drivers window would be nice. I would love to have the outside temperature show up on the display. Better radio options would be nice too. Always would like to see how a stretch version....with bigger back seats would look. I am sure it would effect MPG but would offer more usage for larger families.

2 yrs review
By hborgaonkar

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

after 2 yrs and 29000 miles the car has been a great commuter car. I consistently get 36-38 on my 56 mile daily commute. It did great in a very snowy minnesota winter with snow tires. I am happy with this $14k vehicle that has great value.

Favorite Features

styling, stereo, ability to fit my roadbike

Suggested Improvements

seating position, bluetooth