2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
4 yr. ownership review
By hborgaonkar on 03/19/13 08:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 50000 miles and four years the car has been great. lot of people still ask about this car. great value. its not great in acceleration but smooth at 70mph. Got a new 6 in. touchscreen kenwood stereo with bluetooth audio and telephone, ipod integration, and pandora to bring it to today's AV standard. It does great with snow tires in Minnesota winters. My wife prefers this car in snow over her new Sienna and Acura TSX. That's says something about this car. Just another great Toyota

5 door
By aargos on 04/20/12 07:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 5 door for 3 years now. Gets good fuel economy as expected and so far no issues. Feels nimble and zippy around town. However, would not buy it again. For not so small 17+ k the car feels too cheap. It exudes cheapness/budget. Even at street speed open 1 window and you get greeted with such bad wind buffeting it gives me and my wife a headache. We have to open the window on other side to even it out. Maybe its the shape, I don't know but never experienced it in any other car. If you're looking for a good small car in this price range go with the Fit, there is a reason why it consistantly gets better rated. My wife and I certainly wish we did.

2 yrs review
By hborgaonkar on 04/18/11 13:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

after 2 yrs and 29000 miles the car has been a great commuter car. I consistently get 36-38 on my 56 mile daily commute. It did great in a very snowy minnesota winter with snow tires. I am happy with this $14k vehicle that has great value.

Almost 3 years under my belt....still going strong
By daf62757 on 12/20/10 17:35 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought mine in December 2008. Its been just under 2 years and I can report a little more since I first submitted a review. This car is so roomy for such a small car. I have rented a bunch of cars on travel and all of them all less roomy than the Yaris hatchback. I just rented a Corolla and it was so cramped compared to my Yaris. The fuel mileage is fairly consistent. I get about 39 MPG on the interstate and 31 around town. I drive 70 MPH on the interstate so getting almost 40 MPG with the A/C on is really good. The car has very little road noise. I do notice that around 70 MPH, it is a little difficult to hear conversations on my cell phone, but it isn't a problem.

Econobox
By Johnny Boy on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the price, I really can't complain. Have had some build quality issues, but they are all minor. It does make a lot of engine noise, and tire noise is also annoying at times- but then again, it is an econobox. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles on it before any major repairs have to be done. I sense that Toyota has slacked off on some of it's products, but I think the Yaris is worth the buy.

Super Little Car
By Toyota Fan on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a commuter as my husband drives 80 miles round trip daily. We have almost 34,000 miles on it and get 43-44 mpg on the highway consistently, driving at 65 mph. This car is fun to drive, corners nicely, accelerates quickly, and is amazingly quiet for a small car. I was a little antsy about safety in such a small car, until my husband hit a deer the other night at 55 mph and sustained no damage to the frame or engine compartment, nor to himself I am happy to say! We haven't experienced any problems at all with our Yaris, and plan to keep this car for a long time to come.

after 18 months
By harshad on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 18 months and 23,000 miles it's been a smooth sailing so far. I get 36- 38 mpg in spring through fall and 35 in winter. all the cup holders and bins are plus. automatic transmission is slow but adequate for commute. hope its reliability is as good as my other toyotas.

Nice car
By Catman on 06/30/10 06:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a 95 van that got 13 MPG on a good day and wanted a green vehicle. So far I really like my car. In the summer I average 36-38 MPG. In the winners it's more like 33-34. I travel about 60/40 (highway/city) in a hilly area. On a flat highway I get 42+ mpg. The Yaris is not a luxury car but it has a decent ride and plenty of pep. In fact it's more comfortable to drive than my LeSabre because the seats are high, and you don't feel like you're sitting on the ground like you do in a Corvette or Firebird. The center console takes some getting use to but at night you don't have any distractions and it's easier to see. Good air and heat. It's a very fine economical car

Hybrid-like gas mileage.
By Mike C. on 05/25/10 12:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the closest you're going to get to a hybrid, without an electric or diesel motor. Right now I'm averaging about 36 mpg with aggressive 60/40 city/hwy driving. And get over 40 mpg hwy. It's an amazing car, with the room and comfort of some mid-sized vehicles. I also drive a Tacoma, and have found the Yaris more comfortable. Contrary to other posts, I have found my Yaris auto to be quite peppy. It won't set speed records, but it's very practical. I got a feeling that this will be a keeper for a long time to come.

Great Car for the Money
By Mark R on 03/09/10 12:41 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have the 4 door Hatchback with 4 cylinder. Can only go about 40 until the car warms up. Ice and snow build up between the frame and the tires, the scissor jack needs to be replaced

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback in VA is:

$132 per month*