Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Most Helpful|
Best small car for the $
By psaw

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car for a commuter, and it does its job nicely. No complaints at all. If you understand what a subcompact car is before you go car shopping, then, and only then will you understand that this car is worth every penny. BTW, I took it off roading a while back, not by choice, and it did better than expected. Very tough.

Favorite Features

Simple design, legendary Toyota reliability, and of course, the prestige that accompanies driving a car that requires you to have complete inner security (I got made fun of by high school girls the other night at the movie store).

Suggested Improvements

A cowboy hat rack on the ceiling.

Super Little Car
By Toyota Fan

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car as a commuter as my husband drives 80 miles round trip daily. We have almost 34,000 miles on it and get 43-44 mpg on the highway consistently, driving at 65 mph. This car is fun to drive, corners nicely, accelerates quickly, and is amazingly quiet for a small car. I was a little antsy about safety in such a small car, until my husband hit a deer the other night at 55 mph and sustained no damage to the frame or engine compartment, nor to himself I am happy to say! We haven't experienced any problems at all with our Yaris, and plan to keep this car for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Reliability, safety, economy.

Suggested Improvements

It was bought as a bare-bones economy car, and does the job just fine. I do wish though that the cup holders would accommodate the larger insulated cups.

My best car!
By CoBfan1987

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first brand new car and have not been disappointed one bit. In regards to the review by edmunds: When I test drove the automatic, I did notice more lack of power output. Its a good thing I was stubborn and would only buy a manual. Much higher power output. ;) And there is not a thing wrong with centrally placed gauges, its just different. It then allows for not 1, not 2...but 3 separate glove box storage areas.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage (35 - 38 mpg) and very dependable. Great for parking in crowded areas with small spots and parallel parking! Great price!

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements.

All You Need
By Eric

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We are very happy with our choice. The Yaris ended up being exactly what we needed. This car looks tiny but has a bunch of room. A 6-ft, 160 lbs man can sit comfortably in the rear seats. Keep in mind this is an inexpensive economy car. What got that, combined with reliability, quality and somewhat surprising performance. A Toyota will hold its value far better than other competitors in this area (Kia, Hyndai) - except perhaps Honda, which costs quite a bit more.

Favorite Features

Copious storage compartments. Reclining rear seats. Standard ABS and side curtain airbags.

Suggested Improvements

The instrument panel is spartan. A few more crucial gauges would have been nice. Standard remote-operated mirrors would have been nice.

08 Yaris - everything I wanted
By Chris

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle to get me to work, store, etc. This is it. I've had this car 10 months, put 16K miles on it, and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. On an average tank of gas, combination of highway/town, I get between 39-41mpg. I run 80mph on the interstate with plenty left, handles great. The dash in the middle takes getting used to, and the corner posts are too thick, impeding vision, especially backing out of a parking place, I would like to see a tach, temp gauges. Besides that, this car is great. No regrets.

Suggested Improvements

Corner posts are a real safety issue that will get people hurt. They need to be redesigned. Add a tach, temp gauge option.