Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Great car
By vrod305

2009 Toyota Yaris S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a preowned 2009 Yaris S in January with 77,500 miles on it. Have put 16,000 miles on it since. It's an amazing car. Decent gas mileage, relatively quiet and very reliable. I've had no issues with it other than a headlight going out (which my mechanic didn't even charge to replace). I'm 6'3 and I fit fine in it. Does have trouble with going up mountain, but with 106 horsepower, you have to accept that. Would be nice if it had automatic looks, but that's not too big a deal. I would suggest a Yaris to anyone. This is also after I had a 2000 Echo that I drove for six years and got rid of with 199,800 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic locks.

4 yr. ownership review
By hborgaonkar

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 50000 miles and four years the car has been great. lot of people still ask about this car. great value. its not great in acceleration but smooth at 70mph. Got a new 6 in. touchscreen kenwood stereo with bluetooth audio and telephone, ipod integration, and pandora to bring it to today's AV standard. It does great with snow tires in Minnesota winters. My wife prefers this car in snow over her new Sienna and Acura TSX. That's says something about this car. Just another great Toyota

Favorite Features

cute looks, reliability

Suggested Improvements

get a performance version to match Fiesta and little better interior trim feel

4 Years and 125000 Klm's
By skipper22

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Yaris for nearly 4 years now and sadly I just sold it as I didn't need it any longer. But I can attest to great fuel economy, fantastic quality, and a terrific resale. I have 125000 klm's on this baby and never once in the dealer for ANY problems whatsoever. Regular oil changes 8-10000 k's etc., and never a moments problem. So much so, I now have a 2011 Corolla.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, reliability, cost-per-mile inexpensive, easy handling and just plain fun!

Suggested Improvements

Better O.E. tires. Mine wore out at 53000 K's. Not good. And perhaps a slightly peppier engine but not much.

5 door
By aargos

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 5 door for 3 years now. Gets good fuel economy as expected and so far no issues. Feels nimble and zippy around town. However, would not buy it again. For not so small 17+ k the car feels too cheap. It exudes cheapness/budget. Even at street speed open 1 window and you get greeted with such bad wind buffeting it gives me and my wife a headache. We have to open the window on other side to even it out. Maybe its the shape, I don't know but never experienced it in any other car. If you're looking for a good small car in this price range go with the Fit, there is a reason why it consistantly gets better rated. My wife and I certainly wish we did.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Complete redesign desperately needed.

Good car but others have gotten better
By emajor

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Our Yaris is a 2008 and we are now 3 1/2 years and 36,000 miles into our ownership. Car has been perfectly reliable and exceeds EPA ratings, we regularly see 40 to 44 mpg highway, 30+ in town. Roomy up front, with lots of legroom, but narrow. Backseat has enough legroom & headroom for 6-footers and under. Large trunk. Lots of storage pockets, the center gauges are no problem, and the interior is pretty nice. Less road noise than the Fit. Problems: The engine has enough power, but the 4 speed automatic needs another gear or two. Driving position is terrible for taller drivers; the wheel is too far away, and the pedals too close. Pay attention to this during your test drive.

Favorite Features

Roomy for its size, very reliable and efficient, quick steering is accurate and makes the car fun to dart around town, good ride quality, fairly quiet on the highway, plenty of storage for wallet, phone, ipod, etc., engine is peppy enough around town, turns on a dime. Four years in, and we don't regret the purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Desperately needs a telescoping steering wheel. 5 or 6 speed automatic would help engine performance. Sound quality from the stereo is really bad, with overblown murky bass and no midrange clarity, but this is nothing new for cheap cars. New competitors like the Fiesta, Accent, and Sonic have improved since we bought our Yaris and have better driving positions, stronger engines, and similar fuel economy. If I were shopping now, I would get one of those or wait until the Yaris is redesigned to see if they have improved some of the weaknesses.