2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
Great car
By vrod305 on 09/19/14 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a preowned 2009 Yaris S in January with 77,500 miles on it. Have put 16,000 miles on it since. It's an amazing car. Decent gas mileage, relatively quiet and very reliable. I've had no issues with it other than a headlight going out (which my mechanic didn't even charge to replace). I'm 6'3 and I fit fine in it. Does have trouble with going up mountain, but with 106 horsepower, you have to accept that. Would be nice if it had automatic looks, but that's not too big a deal. I would suggest a Yaris to anyone. This is also after I had a 2000 Echo that I drove for six years and got rid of with 199,800 miles on it.

4 yr. ownership review
By hborgaonkar on 03/19/13 08:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 50000 miles and four years the car has been great. lot of people still ask about this car. great value. its not great in acceleration but smooth at 70mph. Got a new 6 in. touchscreen kenwood stereo with bluetooth audio and telephone, ipod integration, and pandora to bring it to today's AV standard. It does great with snow tires in Minnesota winters. My wife prefers this car in snow over her new Sienna and Acura TSX. That's says something about this car. Just another great Toyota

4 Years and 125000 Klm's
By skipper22 on 12/02/12 20:12 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Yaris for nearly 4 years now and sadly I just sold it as I didn't need it any longer. But I can attest to great fuel economy, fantastic quality, and a terrific resale. I have 125000 klm's on this baby and never once in the dealer for ANY problems whatsoever. Regular oil changes 8-10000 k's etc., and never a moments problem. So much so, I now have a 2011 Corolla.

5 door
By aargos on 04/20/12 07:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 5 door for 3 years now. Gets good fuel economy as expected and so far no issues. Feels nimble and zippy around town. However, would not buy it again. For not so small 17+ k the car feels too cheap. It exudes cheapness/budget. Even at street speed open 1 window and you get greeted with such bad wind buffeting it gives me and my wife a headache. We have to open the window on other side to even it out. Maybe its the shape, I don't know but never experienced it in any other car. If you're looking for a good small car in this price range go with the Fit, there is a reason why it consistantly gets better rated. My wife and I certainly wish we did.

Good car but others have gotten better
By emajor on 06/27/11 11:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Our Yaris is a 2008 and we are now 3 1/2 years and 36,000 miles into our ownership. Car has been perfectly reliable and exceeds EPA ratings, we regularly see 40 to 44 mpg highway, 30+ in town. Roomy up front, with lots of legroom, but narrow. Backseat has enough legroom & headroom for 6-footers and under. Large trunk. Lots of storage pockets, the center gauges are no problem, and the interior is pretty nice. Less road noise than the Fit. Problems: The engine has enough power, but the 4 speed automatic needs another gear or two. Driving position is terrible for taller drivers; the wheel is too far away, and the pedals too close. Pay attention to this during your test drive.

2 yrs review
By hborgaonkar on 04/18/11 13:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

after 2 yrs and 29000 miles the car has been a great commuter car. I consistently get 36-38 on my 56 mile daily commute. It did great in a very snowy minnesota winter with snow tires. I am happy with this $14k vehicle that has great value.

Two years now 20000 miles
By dadinfo on 01/24/11 09:49 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

It performs great for most of our driving. Mom drives it mostly and is in love, head over heels. OVER 40 MPG ! ! !

Almost 3 years under my belt....still going strong
By daf62757 on 12/20/10 17:35 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought mine in December 2008. Its been just under 2 years and I can report a little more since I first submitted a review. This car is so roomy for such a small car. I have rented a bunch of cars on travel and all of them all less roomy than the Yaris hatchback. I just rented a Corolla and it was so cramped compared to my Yaris. The fuel mileage is fairly consistent. I get about 39 MPG on the interstate and 31 around town. I drive 70 MPH on the interstate so getting almost 40 MPG with the A/C on is really good. The car has very little road noise. I do notice that around 70 MPH, it is a little difficult to hear conversations on my cell phone, but it isn't a problem.

Best car I've ever owned
By St.Louis.Girl on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Yaris in a pinch when my old one blew up and left me stranded. I needed a car in a hurry and I was craving reliability after that car maintenance fiasco - so I went straight to Toyota. I've had the car for a year an a half and 18,000 miles. I love it. No problems at all, drove it from St. Louis to Galveston and back comfortably with 2 people and a dog on board. It has better acceleration, a smoother and quieter ride and overall better quality than any other small car that I've ever had - or been riding in for that matter. Also easy to get in and out of, even the back seat, even for my 6'4" brother. I would recommend this car to anyone, 100 times over.

Econobox
By Johnny Boy on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

For the price, I really can't complain. Have had some build quality issues, but they are all minor. It does make a lot of engine noise, and tire noise is also annoying at times- but then again, it is an econobox. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles on it before any major repairs have to be done. I sense that Toyota has slacked off on some of it's products, but I think the Yaris is worth the buy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Yaris in VA is:

$132 per month*