2008 Toyota Yaris Consumer Review: Why rate the milage so high?

2008 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.5L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Why rate the milage so high?
By Rob on

2008 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm not sure why everyone rates the mileage so high. This is a 1.5l 4 cyl engine that should get at least 35 mpg in mixed driving and 40-45 for highway cruising (50-55 mph). I have been very disappointed that in 50% highway driving at reasonable speeds I can only get 30 mpg when going downhill with a tailwind. Otherwise I'm happy with my Toyota. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of headroom and decent legroom. No problem loading the family of 4 (2 car seats) with all the necessary gear in the spacious trunk to head out for the weekend. The trunk is also large enough for 4 sets of golf clubs (barely), however the back seat passengers need to be less than 6' or there's complaints about the headroom.

Large trunk, decent sound system, very good A/C unit (works quick), ample storage around cabin, stylish exterior.

Cup holder for right handed drivers (we do make up the majority) and two instead of only one in the back seat, automatic trunk release on the key fob, more than one power outlet (at least one not wired to ignition)