Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

This little guy is a champ!
By J

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the base automatic all the options. It is a perfect second car. Has a ton of interior space and clever storage. This car is way more spacious than the Lexus IS I downgraded from. The backseat is fine for two average sized people when needed. I consistently get 36-38 mpg driving mostly highway at 70-80 mph. Also great in the snow with the skinny tires. This car shines as commuter car. It has plenty of go and decent handling. That is noticeably reduced with two passengers or heavy cargo. Still, 95% of the time, this car meets my needs like a champ. I just can't understand driving a huge 6-7 seater for only one person. Its great for road trips too. What more do you really need!?

Dual upper glove boxes and fold out cup holders. High seating position for a small car. Remote key and power windows and doors. Great visibility. Could not be easier to parallel park. General ease of use.

I would have paid more for better seats and an upgraded stereo without the silly exterior cladding of the "S" model. Steering wheel audio controls, auto dimming mirror, etc. A better sounding horn would be useful to keep that texting soccer mom/dad from drifting their giant "Mini"van into my lane.

Not for adults
By Jack

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Sold my 2008 hatchback after two years. A fine car for short commutes, but a back-breaker on longer trips. Even though car was loaded, Toyota found ways to unnecessarily cheapen the design. Middle position instrument cluster is the first tip off. Intermittent wipers are not speed- adjustable. Even the pedal spacing spacing is parsimonious. The dealer- option speed control stalk is invisible from the driver's position. A height adjustable drivers seat is not an option, nor was satellite radio. They say you get what you pay for, but at over 15 grand loaded it was not exactly a cheap ride, even at 30+ mpg.

Fold flat rear seats, rear styling

Offer comfort options for adults (they will gladly pay)

Biggest little car!
By Snowy

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car and has exceeded my expectations. I wanted a plain old manual transmission with no other gadgets and amazingly found a used one for sale. I bought this car for gas mileage and was expecting it to be a compromise in other ways but IT IS NOT! I consistently get 29 to 32 MPG without trying to maximize fuel economy and have gotten 42 on one road trip. The size of this car is deceiving and there is plenty of room inside. With the backseat down I have been able to fit anything I need and I have even transported a medium sized desk with the hatch fully closed! It's fun, smooth, quiet and handles great! I've had a bunch of cars but I couldn't be more pleased with it.

I love the position of the cup holders and it's right where it needs to be for maximum convenience. The drivers side glove box and all the other storage areas and bottle holders in the doors and rear are great. I'm astounded at the amount of rear passenger and cargo room in such a small vehicle.

I have a huge problem with the fact that the taillights do not go on when the headlights go on automatically. I am looking for a way to modify it. The position of the wiper lever is a bit awkward and often gets bumped on during normal steering and smears the window messing up my visibility.

My Yaris Rocks!
By My Yaris Rocks

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my car from the first moment I test drove it. I think it's the cutest little car and it drives surprisingly well. It, of course, gets incredible gas mileage and I've driven in blizzards, over mountain ranges, in horrible city traffic, over dirt roads, and against 100 mph rainstorm winds, amongst other situations. The lowest gas mileage I ever got was 35 mpg. It's peppy, hardy and reliable. In fact, last month I drove it nearly 2800 miles in about 52 hours, from Maryland to southern California. It was packed FULL with half my apartment and me and my cats and we drove over the Appalachian mountains & the Rocky Mountains in Colorado & lots more, quickly and without a single problem.

This car has super responsive steering that allows me to parallel park in the smallest nearly impossible spaces and to react to crazy drivers in hundreds of situations. The seating and steering wheel arrangement is perfect for me & my tall height (I'm 5'11"). I am so comfortable sitting in this car.

A better suspension system would be good. Most people don't notice it, but those who are used to super smooth rides might be disappointed. A sturdier body would be nice, because it dents too easily (I've learned to keep it away from drunks and people who like to kick cars).

Yaris fun
By Skip

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great price, great fun to drive, great MPG worst I have gotten 33 best 46. spartan interior could use a little upgrade there on base model missing pop out back windows on 2 door hatch back. I love the absolutely red "Scarlet" Yaris

cute and economical

Pop out rear side windows on 2 door. move the passenger side electric door lock to the door not the console. Add center arm rest in 2 door model (available as after market now)

• SUV