2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
Overall not bad
By Ian on 09/05/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This month is my Yaris' first birthday and being my first new car, it has been a pretty decent experience after 15,000 miles. Very reliable car, no engine issues, manual is almost... fun sometimes. Air works well, and stereo is not bad. Only issues I've had are the easily scratched panels, very annoying... also the panels where seat belts are get gauged. My Camry had a more resilient interior. Gas mileage is excellent, best I got was 360 miles to one tank on the hwy, and for an 11 gallon tank, that ain't too shabby. The exterior damages way too easily also. Bumpers on this car are horrible and expensive to repair, try not to back into anything, its going to be over 500 to fix. Good car overall.

Fun Yaris
By Sharon on 07/31/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Yaris for 10mns and I love it. It is the most fun car to drive and you can make a lot of U turns. The gas mileage is wonderful, I get 33-35 except when running the A/C then it drops to around 25. There is more power than you would expect from this little 4cyl. My 6'4" friend has plenty of head room. I can't say anything bad because as far as I'm concerned it's the perfect car!

Much more than I thought
By Chuck on 07/08/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the four-door hatchback, 5-speed (Mexico). Ordered the "base model" - got 15 inch tires, CD, ABS brakes, A/C, Tach, rear window wiper; which seems more than the base model in the US. I wanted to buy American made but could NOT beat price, quality, economy. Broke- in on Mexico-Florida-Michigan-Mexico trip. At 65 mph I averaged 39 mpg. Replaced back seat with carpeted 3/4 inch plywood, so it's a mini-minivan: the hatch and back doors are a dream for access. I really baby it around town and love its eye-catching good looks. It is FUN to drive; stable, peppy, stylish. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do. It is satisfying, even after over one year.

Very good car.
By Christian on 04/01/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I used to drive a 1991 Firebird which got 16 mpg at best. It got totaled and I went hunting for a new car in hopes for a Civic. The same day, I drove home in my Yaris. From my studies, I severely underestimated this car. I love it to death. I get more than double the gas mileage and I'm hoping that the reliability will be on par with my grandmother's '96 Camry, which has NEVER been in shop for anything but wear and tear. Fun to drive and I love the storage. My buddy bought a 2008 Focus and he says, "I shoulda bought a Yaris" I don't regret the purchase and I can't wait to get it paid off.

Extraordinary Well-Built Tiny Efficiency
By Annette Keller on 01/20/09 04:45 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is tiny - head-turningly so. People gawk as if it's a toy car. But the interior is so well designed, with many cup-holders, compartments and the hatchback, that I feel as comfortable in it as I did in my 4Runner SUV. It's been years since I had a hatchback, and the accessibility is a wonderful convenience. I have a manual and know how to drive it efficiently. I get between 36-45 mpg, depending on whether the gas station sells 100% gas or an ethanol blend. Can reach anything from the driver's seat except the very back (trunk) part of hatchback. Gets in any parking space. Never had such a convenient, easy access car.

Great Car
By TravW on 01/19/09 21:05 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the car was one of the best investments I have ever made. The fuel economy was excellent and the small design is misleading. The interior is very roomy. Wonderful car.

Love the Yaris
By Robert on 01/14/09 14:21 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the absolutely red hatchback. I love the car. Great gas mileage, fun to drive. Everyone asks me if it's a hybrid. Great for city driving.

Good no Great Car and Fun
By Joseph Campa on 01/13/09 11:22 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I read several reviews before I bought my Yaris and I feel that Toyota has a winner. I also have a civic and the Yaris is a better car in quality and reliability. I am considering buying another one. I only wish that you could get a split rear seat and center console on the base model. Small car with a big interior is the Yaris with exceptional gas mileage. I got a little over 38 mpg with mine and that is great when you have two active girls that need to go places. Smooth ride and exceptional comfort.

'08 Yaris, the future of cars
By Chris on 01/01/09 10:43 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my '08 Yaris, 5 speed for a little over a year. I drive conservatively and average between 37-40 mpg. There is nothing fancy or luxurious about this car, and if you rely on your car to impress your fellow man, this is not for you. But, if your desire is to have affordable, economical, and reliable transportation, image be damned, then you want a Toyota Yaris. This car just keeps running, requiring only gasoline and the 5K mile routine maintenance (oil change, tire pressure check, etc. This is an excellent car and I heartily recommend it to anyone who asks. Buy this car, and you too will have a hard time keeping a straight face when passing the Escalade, Hummer saps.

Great Purchase
By Mike on 12/28/08 21:01 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Considering the # of reviews I read before purchase, I feel it is my duty to pass on the word that Toyota has produced a real winner. Although, I'm a very conservative driver, I am getting upwards of 800 kilometres on a single tank! The manual transmission is exceptionally smooth and seems to be a helpful tool during inclement weather. Exterior design is beautiful, perhaps a bit of a head turner, but the interior location of the centre mounted instrument cluster took some getting use to. I wish that cruise control was a factory option as I spend a lot of time on the highway. The car seemed so small when I took delivery, but now, vehicles like I use to drive, seem unnecessarily large.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.