2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
Great Buy For the Money
By PG on 12/24/09 07:33 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I own a 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan with 62K on it and has been very reliable thus far. I purchased the Yaris when fuel went up to $4.00+ per gallon. Overall, it has exceeded my expectations in regards to reliability and value. This vehicle averages anywhere from 32-34 MPG per tank with normal city/hwy driving. The MPG does drop a bit in colder weather due to fuel additives put into the gas, you'll lose around 1-2MPG. If you're doing strictly HWY driving, this model will allow you to drive 370-385 miles per tank before re-filling. The return is 37-38.5 MPG, before the fuel light flashes quickly meaning you have 1.1 gallons of fuel available.

Better fuel economy than a hybrid!
By R. on 10/19/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I get 40-41 MPG, mostly freeway commuting. Zippy and fun to drive around town, but not a great ride on the freeway (the car is very light and doesn't seem to hug the road well at high speeds). Definitely go for the manual - you'll get a lot more juice out of it AND better gas mileage. I test drove the automatic, and it was sluggish. The base car comes pretty stripped of amenities, but that's probably why the car is so low priced. I put a simple spoiler on mine, and I think it really helps the style.

One year in review...
By arice on 08/25/09 05:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After months of research last year between the Yaris, Versa, and Fit, I chose to get a Toyota Yaris, and I am so glad that I did. I am on the road a lot for work (both hwy and city), so when purchasing a car last year, my main concern was reliability and gas mileage. When I first purchased the Yaris, it got around 36 mpg, but now that it is broken in I have gotten up to 41 mpg. I am very pleased with my purchase, and would recommend the Yaris for anyone wanting an economical car to zip around town in.

Why rate the milage so high?
By Rob on 08/24/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm not sure why everyone rates the mileage so high. This is a 1.5l 4 cyl engine that should get at least 35 mpg in mixed driving and 40-45 for highway cruising (50-55 mph). I have been very disappointed that in 50% highway driving at reasonable speeds I can only get 30 mpg when going downhill with a tailwind. Otherwise I'm happy with my Toyota. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of headroom and decent legroom. No problem loading the family of 4 (2 car seats) with all the necessary gear in the spacious trunk to head out for the weekend. The trunk is also large enough for 4 sets of golf clubs (barely), however the back seat passengers need to be less than 6' or there's complaints about the headroom.

My 2nd Toyota Product - another winner!
By Steve Z on 07/28/09 05:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used in April 09 after my roommate's 94 Grand Am finally 'died'. He LOVES the car and uses it on weekdays and I get to use it on weekends. Mileage average is 30MPG with mostly short trips. Plenty of trunk room. My other car is an 08 Camry Hybrid and while the ride/performance are not in that league, the Yaris is a competent, safe performer. Radio reception is weak and it's hard to read the LCD screen for the radio settings - the CD sounds adequate. If you drive conservatively and like to get good MPG - this is a great car for you.

Some Issues
By sandi on 06/20/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Yaris mainly for reliability and gas mileage and so far the vehicle has been good for this. BUT there are some issues that I wish I had known about before purchase. They are significant enough that I may have chosen another vehicle. 1. You cannot drive with the windows open because of a strange sound effect that hurts your ears. 2. The sounds system is TERRIBLE. 3.Cup holders in TERRIBLE places. 4. Air smells like dirty feet when you turn it on. On last oil change they found NO cabin air filter. 5. Just plain too small. My teens cannot sit in the back seat so we have to take TWO cars on trips. There goes mileage savings.

Awesome in so many ways!
By sconlogue on 04/14/09 21:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am used to small cars so a Yaris Sedan is not unfamiliar territory. What amazes me every time I get in it is how it has all the things I love about small cars without feeling small. All my other cars felt cheap and cramped. Not the case here. The performance on the manual is impressive for a 1.5L! You get plenty of pep. Now is a great time to buy too, got my 2008 used for almost 2,000 below TVM and I admit, I am no negotiator. I went with base model and I don't miss anything. Nice radio, solid handling, great styling, VERY comfortable. So I have to lock the doors and roll my own windows. Big deal. What a value.

Great Car!
By Natalya on 12/11/08 06:19 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is perfect. The EPA says 36 but I am averaging closer to 43. I try and keep my tank above the half way mark at all times. It really is a great car!

Winter Mountain Car Replaces Jeep
By Brian White on 12/08/08 18:49 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for the fuel savings over my old Grand Cherokee. You could say I got a free car out of the deal once you factor in the savings, and not a bad one at that. Tons of space for a small car and fun to drive. I drive this in a mountainous area of Canada which has the highest snow fall in Canada, most years anyway. So it is December and the studded tires are on and the car seems to be fairing quite well. A little noise from the studs but not as much as I thought there would be from a small car. The first gear is a little spongy but actually works well in limiting wheel spin in slippery situations. Other than that, not much wrong with this econ-o-box.

Great Little Car
By Scott on 11/24/08 09:01 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Last fall while gas prices were on the way up I traded my Mazda MPV. I told the salesman I wanted automatic transmission, air conditioning, CD player and great gas mileage at the lowest price possible. He pulled up a Yaris. After a test drive I agreed it fit the bill. Now 1 year later after going thru $4.00 plus per gallon gas prices and rough Michigan roads the car is holding up amazingly well. I consistently get 37-40 miles per gallon, and all I do is get the oil and filter changed at 5000 mile intervals. Now gas prices are under $2.00 per gallon I can fill up for $10.00-$15.00. The car hauls four full size adults in reasonable comfort and we always get comments.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.